Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Asraelite
Accepted Solution

Access Point

Hi!

Today I got the WAP610N, but I have some problems...

I have my router in ground level, and a repeater in first floor, both work fine. Now, I wanted to connect my PC(No WLAN PCI card) that is in second floor to this network, and I thought it would work with the Access Point.

Is there a way to do this, or will I do better with giving it back, and get a PCI card? I really prefer to use the WAP610N, because I could simply plug it in, and I dont have to use a PCI slot for the WLAN card.

Expert
Expert

Re: Access Point

The WAP610N is an access point. It's not a repeater nor a wireless bridge.

Get a wireless adapter or a wireless bridge.
Asraelite

Ok, thx.

Asraelite

Strange that the guy  suggested me that one in the store.

Expert
Expert

Older Linksys WAPs like the WAP54G could be configured as bridge or repeater. The newer WAP models like your WAP610N are dedicated APs and nothing else.
largentr

Funny, Cisco suggested I needed to buy both a WAP610N and a WEP610N to extend the range of my E4200 router.  Should I send them both back when they arrive?

How do I get the E4200 to cover my 1600 sq ft house?  Shouldn't that be easy?

mjnordgren@hotmail.com

Hi Expert, I don't really think Asraelite received a solution, only the the WAP610N would not do as a repeater. And I have the same issue: I just bought the E4200 router and a couple of WUSB600N adapters and it seems to work fine. Except for this...: I live in a huge four story house with the modem in the basement (can't change that), so I need a solution with a repeater/expander. The signal at the top floor, where I have two computers, is too weak. Using a 33 feet cable and a concrete drill I was able to move the router up one story but it is still not good enough, the signal is 1-2 out of 5.

I used to have a WRT54G router with the WRE54G Expander, it took care of the problem. That expander does not seem to have an N successor, which is what both Asraelite, I and thousands of other guys would appreciate. Netgear offer the WN2000RPT WL-N repeater. I
would rather get one from Linksys.

Please advice, this gap seems a bit silly.

Thanks, Maz

felipa arcelo

gud am, question what model to offer linksys access point at the same time repeater and switch at the same time.

jaymay

Hi! WES610N might be what you're looking for. For more info about this, you may refer to this links: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/bridges/WES610N and  http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=1bcf60b1339146e0b48e8....

Travasaurus

Access Points vs. Bridges

I've been doing this stuff for years now but even the "old pros" can get tricked-up if Linksys decides to change things and not be clear about what's going on.  I had a pretty simple job where I needed to connect a client's upstairs computer to his Cisco WRVS4400N Wireless-N router. As a stopgap I had already hooked-up an old, ancient Linksys WET54G Ethernet Bridge and after a good deal of research it appeared that the new Linksys WUMC710 was the answer, especially since the conputer's NIC was of the Gigabit variety; the fact that there were extra ports on the unit was a little extra gravy, even though I didn't need any auxilliary ones at this time. After carefully configuring it and hooking it up to the computer via Cat6 cable I had a big ol' bunch of nothing! Tried every way from Sunday to make it work but it was an exercise in futility.  Posted here what my problem was and some helpful soul informed me that the thing was 5GHz only and the router was 2.4GHz only, which was not mentioned anywhere in the promotional material. So then another (well-meaning, I'm sure) person said what I needed to get was a WAP610N "bridge"  (which was both 2.4GHz & 5GHZ capable) and that would solve the problem, so I actually bought 2 of them, 1 for the job and 1 for a backup. Well needless to say, while they both configured easily, there was no way I could make them connect to the router via the computer / Ethernet cable.  Back I went to Tech Support chat where I was informed that because they were "access points" they could not function as a "bridge" even though I was told they would earlier.  I asked about getting a WEP610N unit (which I've used before) and was informed that it was obsolete.  Finally, she told me that I needed a WAP300N to do what was required and I was really bewildered, since this was another "WAP" (Wireless Access Point) and on top of that was nowhere near the physical shape and size that all the other bridges which I'd used before were; in fact it looked like a router, not a bridge or an access point.  Anyway, she said that this was the "new deal" and it was a crazy hybrid combination of all 3, a bridge, wireless access point and range extender, all rolled into one.  The bottom line is that the lines now appear to be blurred between formerly separate, distinct devices (bridge, wireless access point & range extender) so all I can say is proceed with caution and first talk to Tech Support if you are in any kind of doubt.  This mess has now caused me, for the first time ever, to have to return 3 devices, simply because it was unclear what their actual use was for and now to have to chase-down a forth.  Linksys needs to make it much more clear than they do now what works with what and caution everybody about making sure you get the right bandwidth device, either 2.4GHz or 5GHz and clearly explain the difference in a Bridge, Wireless Access Point and Range Extender and point out what to get if you need all 3 in one form factor.  It's been a real tedious mess but I hope this post will help prevent someone else from making the same mistakes I did.  Good luck!