abl93
Accepted Solution

Can I use a WAP54 to link to my WAG354G ?

I have a WAG354G linked to my phoneline for broadband and I am trying to get my upstairs wired network to link to it via a WAP54.  I have tried all of the AP modes available (AP, AP Client, Wireless Repeater, Wireless Bridge) but it fails to connect to the WAG354G.  Looking online at the Cisco KB it says/implies that the AP will only link to another WAP54 or WRT54.

So, the question is... can I get it to link to my WAG354G ??

Cheers.

FredZ

Re: Can I use a WAP54 to link to my WAG354G ?

Not in the traditional manner. Normally you would set the WAP54G up as a repeater or bridge to connect to the primary device, but because the WAP54G will only communicate with another WAP54G or WRT54G in those modes it isn't possible. But you should be able to connect to the WAG54G using AP Client mode. Just place the WAP54G in AP Client mode, do a site survey, select the SSD of the WAG54G and you should be connected.  The only other thing that needs to be set on the WAP54G is the Deafult Gateway, this should be the IP of your router. And the Security on the WAP54G should match the ecurity on the WAG54G.

Note: We are aware of the security hole in AP Client mode, so I suggest you set the MAC address of the WAG54G in the MAC filter table as well as on the AP Client filter table otherwise a device with the same SSID as the WAG54G will be allowed to connect to the WAP54G.

Regards

Fred

abl93

Hi Fred,

Thanks for reply, I'll give it a go.  Previously when I've tried to set it up once I have unplugged my laptop wired to the router I lose all wireless signal and cannot connect to anything :smileysad:.  I'll give it another go.

Also, thinking of longer term, could I use a linksys wireless printserver/4 port switch instead and link that to the WAG54G ?

Adrian

FredZ

abl93 wrote:

Hi Fred,

Thanks for reply, I'll give it a go.  Previously when I've tried to set it up once I have unplugged my laptop wired to the router I lose all wireless signal and cannot connect to anything :smileysad:.  I'll give it another go.

Also, thinking of longer term, could I use a linksys wireless printserver/4 port switch instead and link that to the WAG54G ?

Adrian

I didn't see the part about wanting to connect your laptop to the WAP54G to get access to your LAN. In AP Client mode theAP expects to be wired to the client devices and wireless client connects are not expected.

If this is the case then the only way you can use the WAP54G is to wire it to your existing LAN and to have it in AP mode.

Regards

Fred

abl93

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the clarification.  Looks like I bought a 'pup' :smileysad:

To my second question - could I use a wireless print server/4 port switch instead and link the WAG to it ?  I have a network and USB printers in my office and would like to share them around the house.

Regards,

Adrian

FredZ

Yes

Just place the WAP54G in AP mode and connect the LAN port to your LAN and tell the wireless print server to connect to the SSID of the WAP54G.

Regards

Fred

abl93

Fred,

Thanks again. I'm getting a bit confused - so rather than trying to tell you what hardware I have I'll tell you what I'm trying to do. If you couold advise on the best way to achieve it I'd be grateful.

1st: Downstairs - 1x WAG54G connected to the phoneline.
2nd: Upstairs - a wired network with 8-port switch, 1x server, 1x NAS box, 1x network printer, (possibly) 1x USB printer.
3rd: Other - 2x (and sometimes more) wireless laptops. 1x WAP54G.

What I'm trying to do is to 'sling' the wireless signal from downstairs to upstairs so that all my devices can access each other and the internet. Basically, I'm trying to avoid having to put some CAT5 up the stairs to my office.

Cheers,

Adrian
FredZ

Given that the WAP54G will ony repeate another WAP54G or WRT54G you have 2 options.

options.

Install a second WAP54G

Install a WRT54G to operate as an access point.

Lets say you go for the second WAP54G option the configuration would look something like this.

Connect your existing WAP54G to your wired LAN as a stanard old  access point.

Then set the second AP upstairs where you are requiring the extra wireless coverage as a repeater of the wired WAP54G. The WAP54G upstairs will only have power connected to it. Your wireless clients will then be able to comnect to the upstairs or downstairs access points.

If you go for the WRT54G oprion, it will be exacly the same but your WRT54G will have the WAN & DHCP dissable effectively making it a fancy access point. You will probably want to install the WRT54G as the wired device because I don;t think it supports repeater mode with factory firmware, so your existing WAP54G would need to be the repeater.

Pro and cons: The WRT54G option will give you flexibility in your network should your configuration requirements change further down the line. The second WAP54G option is easier to initially setup.

Regards

Fred

abl93

Hi Fred,

OK, I agree that the WRT54G would be the best option for me.  To make sure I understand the setup and implications...

I use the WAP54G as a repeater and wire it to the WRT54G because the current WRT firmware won't allow me to use the WRT as a repeater/receiver (not the correct term but I think you get the jist).  To the WRT I would connect my network printer, NAS box, server and any other 'wired' device.  My wireless laptops will connect to EITHER the WRT/WAP or the WAG, dependent on which signal is stronger (??) - ie, if I'm in the garden I will be able to see the WRT/WAP but not the WAG but still have access to my hardware and the internet.

I wait in anticipation, my wallet waits with trepidation :smileyhappy:

Adrian

FredZ

What you are saying is correct. I do have to say however that I am not entirely sure if the WAG354G supports WDS, so you may or may not be able to fully roam and have the laptop change its connection on the fly, but you may not necessarily need that.

With regard to the connection the wireless client uses, it may not necessarily be the closest AP, it will connect to the best signal.

Set the SSID the same for all APs to be able to use WDS. And obviously  set the channel the same as well. Yes all devices can be on the same channel provided they are all on the same subnet and have the same SSID, hence the wireless network is treated as a single entity.

Regards

Fred