waynrayn
Accepted Solution

Can't access default IP address in WAP54G

Hi Folks:

My sister is using an old Linksys Wireless Access Point (wireless router), a twin-antennae workhorse called WAP54G. It's a very basic, solid unit , has worked well for a long time, with one exception I'm just discovering.

While using her laptop the other day at her place, I noticed that her network is an unsecured default network. I decided to secure it for her, by creating a network name and password.

I reset the WAP one more time, then connected directly to it  with a standard Ethernet cable. Then I used a command prompt and "ipconfig/all" (Windows XP) to find the default IP address, which was "169.254.202.48". This was unusual in that most of the default addresses are "192.168.1.245" or I have also seen "192.168.1.251".

In any case, although connected directly, the WAP failed to respond not only to its default address shown, but to any of these. I can't get in. The unit itself is functioning fine, browser and email are okay.

Any suggestions as to why I can't get in?

Thanks very much,

Wayne

wewhitt

Re: Can't access default IP address in WAP54G

Usually if your local IP address is returned as 169.254.y.z with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows. This assignment means that TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration, that no DHCP server was found, and that no alternative configuration is specified. This configuration has no default gateway for the interface. This would be my guess.

Bill

Expert
Expert

If you connect directly to the WAP then you have no DHCP server and the computer assigns itsself a random 169.254.*.* address.

Temporarily set a static IP address 192.168.1.50 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on your computer. Then wire the computer to the WAP. Now you should be able to open http://192.168.1.245/ and configure the WAP.

Make sure to change the default IP 192.168.1.245 if your sister's router uses a different LAN IP subnet than 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0.
waynrayn

Hi again:

Thanks to both for your observations and comments.

The suggestion from GV seems to have taken me a step further. I changed the internal IP to static address 192.168.1.50, the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, and the default gateway to 192.168.1.245.

When I typed "192.168.1.245" into the browser, a small XP window popped up (note: this was not a Linksys window) which said, "The server WAP54G requires a user name and password." Thinking I was on easy street, I put in "admin" with no password. However, the window rejected it. I tried various combinations (User, USER, etc), but it wouldn't let me in.

The WAP has definitely been reset several times; the network is "Linksys unsecured." It should just have the default user name and no password, but it isn't letting me in.

Any input on this?

Thanks very much...

Wayne

Expert
Expert

1. I did not tell you to set the default gateway to 192.168.1.245. Does not make any sense. The WAP is not a router.

2. The default password of the WAP54G (and all/most Linksys devices) is "admin". Usually you don't enter any user. Leave the user field empty and enter "admin" into the password field.
waynrayn

Hello GV:

Thank you for your further suggestions. I removed the default gateway I had put in, and used "admin" as the password rather than the User Name. This allowed me to get into the AP settings.

One last question, if I may... Could you please explain in layman's terms the difference between a wireless access point and a wireless router? I was under the impression that they were the same thing, and that "AP" was simply Linksys terminology.

Thanks again for your help,

Regards,

Wayne

Expert
Expert

A wireless access point is a wireless access point, i.e. a device where wireless clients can connect to a network.

A wireless router is router with an integrated wireless access point, (often) ethernet switch, firewall, and more.