steal52
Accepted Solution

Connecting Samsung Blue Ray Player to wireless network

I have  a Linksys network with two wireless desktops, a laptop and a ROKU player connected to a WRT54G router. I was told to purchase a WAP54G Access Point to connect my Samsung  Player to the internet.  I setup the software on the WAP54G. When connecting the WAP54G to the Samsung player it could not connect to the internet. I also noticed that the laptop would loose it's connection to the internet when the WAP54G was on?  As soon as I disconnected the WAP54G the laptop connection returned to normal.  Since I am new at this any advice is greatly appreciated.
FredZ

Re: Connecting Samsung Blue Ray Player to wireless network

About the only real thing that would force such a disconnection event on a wireless client would be if another device had the same IP.

If your WRT54G is still at its default IP settings then you should be able to leave the WAP54G in its default factory settings and it will function.

All you have to do is ensure there is nothing else on your network with the default IP of the WAP54G (192.168.1.245). 

The only real thing you should  have to set on the WAP54G is the security, as this will have to match that of the WRT54G.

I will also assume you will using the WAP54G as a client device as the player won't have wireless capability and you are connecting to the LAN port of the player. If so just set the mode to AP Client and set the IP within the player to 192.168.1.246 and set the DNS and Gateway to the IP of the WRT54G

Regards

Fred

scrooge

I would suggest you to use a Gaming Adapter(WGA54G/WGA600N) instead of an Access Point to connect your Samsung Blue Ray Player...

However, while setting up an Access Point or a Gaming Adapter you need to make sure that wireless settings on Access Point/Gaming Adapter and your Router are exactly identical...Once you are done with all the necessary adjustments you should power cycle both the devices(Access Point/Gaming Adapter and your Router)...

Also make sure the IP Address of either the Access Point/Gaming Adapter is unique and not used by rest of the devices(computers/laptops) connected to your network and set the Gateway to the IP of the WRT54G Router...

steal52

Ok, I'm not tech savvy so here it goes. I tried accessing setup from browser, but would not work?  Reset AP, but still cannot access address from browser.  However, I could access setup from software and IP showing was the default.  Hate asking something that has been answered a million times on another thread, but what would be my next step.  Thanks
FredZ

With regard to initial configuration of the WAP54G read this.

As for the rest of the configuration it depends on how you are connecting the WAP54G to the player. Read my comments above.

Regards

Fred

steal52

Fred, thanks for the link and tech advice on setting up the AP. I am glad to say that my DVD player is up and running. The only thing that didn't work, but I may have misunderstood , was that the DVD player had to be set up with a static IP with gateway and DNS same as the router.  This didn't work, but when I set the DVD player to DHCP it worked.  Again, thanks for the assist. Sandy
FredZ

Hi Sandy

I am pleased that the solution worked for you.

On you DVD player, where you set it for DHCP, there were probably a number of various settings, hopefully something like Static IP, Subnet Mask, DNS & Gateway. Sometimes it asks for 2 Domain Name Servers.

So if you had set the IP of the WAP54G to 192.168.1.245/255.255.255.0, then the IP of your DVD Player would be 192.168.1.246/255.255.255.0, now because you only have a single DNS you would enter the IP of your router and you would also enter the IP of the router for the Gateway setting.

Most gateways have an IP of 192.168.1.1 but you can find out the IP by going to any of your connected clients (PCs) and from the Command Prompt type "ipconfig /all" and look for the DNS and Gateway settings. Write them down and then make those settings the same on the DVD player.

Whilst all of this is not important simply because it is now going I thought it may be somewhat helpfull in some way as others do read these forums and they may like to do it this way.

Regards

Fred

rsamper

I'm having the same problem that Sandy was having.   I just got a Samsung Blue Ray PD-3600.   I'm unable to connect it to the network.   It has wireless built in as well as wired.    I found out as well that it needs to have a static IP Address.    I try to configure it but it fail.    I have one PC that is attach to the router via a wire port and the rest are wireless laptops.   After reading the comments I'm still not sure how to setup a static IP address in my WRT54GS router.   My DSL provider is AT&T (uses PPPoE as the WAN Connection type).  Default Gateway is 192.168.2.1 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.    My modem address is 192.168.1.254.    The IP address start from 192.168.2.101....192.168.2.150.   Appreciate any help in the steps to make it work.  I also don't know what are the DNS Server #'s.

regards,

Rodrigo 

FredZ

My comments here are very generic in nature and are intended as a guidline or starting point to assist you.

In many cases the modem is just a simple media converter and shouldn't require configuring.

The moden connects to the WAN port of the router.

The router has 2 or more IP settings. WAN port and LAN port/s. The WAN port hosts the IP settings provided by your ISP. These are your public settings. The LAN port has all your private IP settings, these are only used inside your network and are not generally routed/broadcast out onto the internet.

Whilst the above is not the only configuration type, it is generally the most common. In most cases you can leave the LAN settings as they are from the factory and just enter your WAN IP settings.

In many cases the router is setup with its own DHCP server, so setting things up becomes very easy.

Most routers have a default IP of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

You typically shouldn't need to set any DNS or gateway settings for the LAN port as this is often done within the router when you setup the WAN settings.

So now we move to the clients and other attachged devices.

All devices should have their own unique IP address.

All attached devices should have their DNS and Gateway point to the IP of the router.

Here is a generic IP configuration.

Router:

WAN:

IP=123.123.123.123/255.255.255.0

DNS=234.234.234.234 234.234.234.123

Gateway=123.123.123.1

LAN:

IP=192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0

DHCP=Enabled (range=192.168.1.200-192.168.1.220)

Wireless:

Channel=6

Security=WPA

PassPhrase=MyPassWord

Clients: (prefered seting)

IP=DHCP

Static Clients (media devices and the like)

IP=192.168.1.100/255.255.255.0

DNS=192.168.1.1

Gateway=192.168.1.1

Another static client:

IP=192.168.0.101/255.255.255.0

DNS=192.168.1.1

Gateway=192.168.1.1

All clients have the same security type and passphrase as setup on the router.

All clients will use the same channel as the router.

The same principle applies when setting up an access point to connect wirelessly to a router in Repeater/Bridge/AP Client modes.

If the Access Point is wired to the router the IP setting remain the same but the channel and security settings can be different.

I hope this generalisation helps.

Regards

Fred

rsamper

Thanks Fred, I got it to work.   I had not realized that the Gateway and DNS server had the same address.   Once I did this, evertything work smoothly.

regards,

Rodrigo