Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rdware
Accepted Solution

Expand the wireless and wired lan from another wired point

[ Edited ]

Hi,

i need i suggestion for my problem.

I'm using a router WAG320N in my home but now i need to expand my lan with another ports and wireless coverage.

In a wired point (connect directly to the router) i need 3 ehternet ports and a repetear of a wireless signal.

The optimal solution woulb be a switch gigabit with an integrated acces point, but I understand that there is no such thing...

So going to buyng the switch SE2500 and the AP WAP610N... but then I realized the existence of the bridge WES610N!

But the information on the linksys italian site is not enough and the relative page does not works... i need to now if this object can take a wired lan replicate it in 3 ports and expand the wireless network of my router.

Someone can help me?

Thanks for the response and sorry for my english.

RDWare

Expert
Expert

Re: Expand the wireless and wired lan from another wired point

You have a wired connection. You don't want a wireless bridge like the WES610N. You would only need that if you did not have the wired connection.

You can either buy a switch and a dedicated access point like the SE2500 and WAP610N or you can buy any of the new E series routers. The E series routers can be bridged and thus basically used like a standard switch and AP.
rdware

Really? So i can buy for example an E2000 ed configure it like a combination of a switich and AP?

Please sorry for this question, but now i use a netgear router (my old router) configure as i can (for the router) to work in this way, but the result it's not good...

If i buy the E2000 ruoter i can spend less money and i have only one object, only one power supply etc etc... so it's a optimal solution for me, but i want to be sure that what i buy this time works how i need! 

Thanks... and sorry for my english.

RDWare

Expert
Expert

I am not sure whether the E2000 supports bridge mode. You can still use it but if it doesn't have bridge mode you would "loose" one port of the switch. Without bridge mode you can't use the internet port if you want to operate it as simple access point and switch.

I would recommend one of the current E series routers, not the previous versions.
rdware

Is there a way to know if the E2000 support the bridge mode? I trying to read, for example, the specifics of the E4200 to know if is specified that the router support the bridge mode, but neither for it there is any word about...

Thanks a lot for you help!!!

Expert
Expert

You can check the release notes of the latest firmware release from the support web site.

Or check the manual.

The E4200 and all the latest E series models support bridge mode. I think the first E series models E1000,E2000,E3000,E4000 don't. I may be wrong. For the E2000 I don't see any indication for bridge mode in the firmware release notes nor the user guide.