riceowl94
Accepted Solution

Expanding Wireless Through Powerline? WAP54G or something better?

I have a WRT54G router and I am also using the Linksys powerline equipment (PLE300 and several PLS300 units).  The powerline equipment works very well.  We have cable modem and through a wired router connection and/or ethernet powerline connection, I am getting download speeds of 20-25 Mbps.  On a wireless basis in reasonably close proximity to the primary router, I can get download speeds in the 18 Mbps range.  Now, I am trying to expand the wireless signal across my house generally.  The main router is in a corner of the house.  I have tried the Linksys expander products with limited success -- speeds seem slow and there seems to be some conflict between the expander and my Apple computers.  Setting that aside, I have been trying a WAP54g set up as a "repeater" to enhance my wireless broadcast.  I've gotten that configured properly I believe - and it is just plugged into the wall upstairs (power only) with no ethernet connection.  With this set-up, I experience download speeds of 5-10 Mbps, which is okay but not great.  Is that typical to experience significantly lower speed?  My question is - is there a better way to increase the broadcast of my wireless signal?  Is there a way to hard-wire by ethernet cable the WAP54g into the powerline system to somehow get the benefit of the high speed that I am experiencing through the powerline?  Is there another device or configuration that might work better to increase wireless broadcast across my house?  Thx.
Expert
Expert

Re: Expanding Wireless Through Powerline? WAP54G or something better?

Set up the WAP54G as a normal access point and wire it into a power line adapter. In repeater mode you will always loose at least 50% of the available bandwidth because all transmissions are repeated thus duplicated.
riceowl94

Thanks for the advice.  I will try it.  Do I need to do anything in particular or different from a configuration standpoint.  I think I had to copy in the MAC wireless info from my router to get it to operate as a repeater.  Does the WAP54g need to have same SSID, etc.?  Thx
Expert
Expert

For AP you don't need the MAC address of the main router. For a roaming wireless network set identical SSID and wireless security settings on both. Use different, non-overlapping channels at least 5 apart.
riceowl94

Thx again.  And, if I wanted to set up a second WAP54g, would I just put the third unit on a 3rd channel.  For example, main router on channel 11, first WAP on channel 6 and second WAP on channel 1?  When you say roaming wireless network, should my devices generally connect to the wireless point that has the strongest signal relative to the three potential access points?
FredZ

Just a note. If all APs are on the same network and/or subnet then all APs can share the same channel. Channel overlap is not such an issue when all APs are on the same network.

Regards

Fred

Expert
Expert

Exactly. The ideal channel setup for 3 APs is 1,6,11. Wireless channels partially overlap thus transmissions on one channel can interfere with transmissions on a close by channel. Thus, if possible put them at least 5 apart.

Re roaming: yes. Devices in general should connect to the AP with the strongest signal when they first connect to your network. Make sure SSID broadcast is enabled to get it properly working. However, the exact behavior of a client where it connects or when it roams to a stronger AP depends only on the implementation in the device driver. The device driver is responsible to pick the AP to connect to and it is responsible to decide when to start the roaming process. Usually, they use some signal threshold before they roam. Due to that it is possible that a device remains connected to a weaker AP although you are standing right next to a better AP.
riceowl94

Ok, this all worked very well for me.  Many thanks.  I reconfigured the WAP and got very good wireless download speeds.

Just a couple more questions, I hope.

1.  If I add a second WAP in another location, would I adjust the static IP to be one step different.  The WAP comes factory configured at 192.168.1.245.  Would I just change the static IP address of one of the devices to 192.168.1.246 - or should I do something different?  Any other complications with adding a second WAP?

2.  If I wanted to add security to the overall wireless system, how is that best accomplished?  And, can the WAPs remain on different channels? 

3.  If I add security, does it compromise speed or anything else?  Thanks

FredZ

Having just read your original post regarding the speed issue.

If you have the WAP54G in repeater mode you wil experience a 50% drop in data throughput. This is a known issue.

If you have EoP then I sugest you use that and set the WAP54G as a normal AP.

Regards

Fred

Expert
Expert

Re 1: Yes. 192.168.1.246 would be fine. No other complications.

Re 2: Use WPA2 Personal security with AES encryption and a strong passphrase. APs remain on different channels.

Re 3: It may reduce speed a little. Depends on the speed of the APs and the speed of the computers/wireless cards.