Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
blkdrgn

How do I connect two APs wirelessly together?

I have a BEFSR41 wired router that someone gave me. I also have three WAP54G APs. Two of them are connected to the router by cable and configured as APs. The 3rd I tried to setup as an AP, AP client, repeater, and a bridge. Once I pull out the ethernet cable I cannot connect to the last AP. How do I make that AP connect to my other APs wirelessly?
FredZ

Re: How do I connect two APs wirelessly together?

AP, AP Client and Bridge modes should have a LAN connection or a connecion via the LAN port to a client.

Repeater mode doesn't require a LAN connection and can operate entirely wirelessly.

Just follow the instructions in your manual for repeater mode and you will be fine.

Regards

Fred
blkdrgn

Would the MAC address that I enter would be from the 1st AP or basically the closest one nearby? So will it be the Status tab on the 1st AP and it would be under Local Network/MAC Address? I just want to make sure I am using the right one. I don't have my manual anymore.
FredZ

If you are using multiple hops that progressively get further away from the router then you would use the MAC address of the closest AP.

Regards

Fred
blkdrgn

i'm actually working on it right now. i tried setting up all three WAP54g APs with different SSIDs, Channel 6, and WPA TKIP security with the same passphrase. Two of them are set as APs and the last as a repeater with the MAC of the closest AP. Once i unplug the cable it still drops connection. I also set the mode to G only for all APs. Should I try WEP?
blkdrgn

OK, i think i got it to work. I have all the APs setup to WEP security. i think i read somewhere that it will only work with WEP. I tried all the other securities but those didnt work. but i did run into a problem when the last AP was configured. since it was still plugged in my router to make changes it bogged down the router and i basically couldnt do anything. i figured out that once i turned off that AP with the repeater setting everything went back to normal in an instant. so i figured that it couldnt be plugged in to the router like stated before. now i just got to change the SSID to all the same and i should be fine. it just sucks that i have to use WEP.
FredZ

Just lodge your complaint about not being able to use WPA using the online tech support form. If enough people complain they may do something about it.

They claim they fixed it in the latest firmware.

Regards

Fred