NightStorm

How do I make my network secure?

Hi all, I am a complete "newbie" at this so please pardon my ignorance. I have been using a Dell desktop for many years now as my primary computer. Recently I received a brand new Sony VAIO laptop. So as to make the laptop connect to the internet wirelessly, I hooked up a Linksys router (Linksys model # BEFSR41) and a Linksys access point (Linksys model # WAP200). Everything is working flawlessly except for one big problem. My network is listed as "unsecure". What steps do I have to take to make my network "secure"? The operating software in the laptop is Windows Vista. If someone could give me step by step directions on how to make my network secure, I would sincerely appreciate it. Let me just mention that the laptop and desktop are home computers and are both primarily used for "fun and leisure". No business "stuff". Thanks!
Ikester

Re: How do I make my network secure?

In order to make your wireless network secure you need to access your WAP200 and set up your wireless security.  WPA ro WPA2 (if supported) are the recommended settings.  Write your settings down so when you connect your laptop you will have the settings you need.  Here is a LINK you can use as a reference on how to set it up.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
NightStorm

Ikester, Thank you very, very much! Your directions led me down the right path! My network is secure! The security type is set to WPA-PSK. Thanks again!!!
MohamedZanoon

How can i make each user with eBay so that he can not branching from him for more than one user ???

jcr18

How do I make my Linksys wireless access point secure?

Thanks,  JOE

lansec

There is a LINK how to make almost every access point secure.

Expert
Expert

lansec wrote:

There is a LINK how to make almost every access point secure.

Another link quoting just the same useless tips which will only make one thing: make the life for the owner much harder and not making any difference to the attacker.

For a secure wireless network, use WPA2 with AES and a strong passphrase. Everything else is just useless and won't make any difference to an attacker.

lansec

You're right. If we talk about serious attackers these steps are useless but 99% percent of neighbours are not serious attackers, they just want to go to internet through your router or access point without paying a money. That's it.

Expert
Expert

Yes. And 100% of neighbors won't get past WPA2/AES with a strong passphrase. So disabling the SSID broadcast or the wireless MAC address filter would help exactly 0%.

But you can be 99% sure that it will cause problems to the owner, sooner or later...
lansec

[ Edited ]

but changing SSID from default is neccessary anyway. So basically it's just one more mouse click and if it will cause problems one day you can enable SSID broadcasting in one minute.

And thank you for your comments. I'll change some information.