DS72

How do you set up WAP54G in repeater mode.

Do I need to set it up with its unique IP address and SSID or is it the same as the router?
scrooge

Re: How do you set up WAP54G in repeater mode.

hi , you can either use the same settings as on the router or different.....the important thing here is to ensure that you enter the "wireless MAC address" of the router when you configure the WAP as a repeater...
to get the "wireless MAC address" , get into the router's setup and then go to the "status" ....then to "wireless network" .....the MAC address you see here is what needs to be specified for the AP repeater mode.

Hi,

It doesnt matter if it has the different ssid on the router as long as the channel , and the security are the same with the router ... and enter the wireless mac address on the router ..

You can get the mac address of the router by logging on to the  configuration page of the router and clicking on status tab ; and on the blue colored subtab look for the one that is labeled as wireless and get the mac address..and put the ip address on the Accesspoint

Does this WAP54G have to be wired to the Router? I'm looking for a Repeater that can see the router without the use of ethernet (if possible).
murrays

please help!  i cannot for the life of me figure this out.  i have plugged the wap54g into my network, and accessed the setup page for it.  it is using the v3.04, Oct 31, 2005 firmware.

on the 'setup/network setup' page, i set a static ip for it to easily find it later, and gave it a unique name.

on the 'setup/ap mode' page, i have selected "wireless repeater" and entered the wireless mac address of my wrt54g.

on the 'wireless/basic wireless settings' page, i have set the channel to the same channel that my wrt54g is using, the mode is 'wireless-g only', the SSID is different than the SSID of the wrt54g, SSID broadcast is enabled.

on the 'wireless/wireless security' page, i have setup the same (WEP) encryption that is running on the wrt54g.

no other tabs under 'wireless' were touched.

'administration' page was left untouched, except for changing the wap's password.

now i unplug the ethernet cable from the WAP and reboot it by cycling the power.  i can see the SSID of the WAP54g and connect to the WA54g, but the laptop is not assigned an ip address, and i cannot browse the internet. as soon as i plug the wap54g back into the network, i can browse the internet, etc. through it.  but, this is pointless and for testing/configuration purposes only.  i thought the point of wireless repeater was to NOT have to have the wap54g hard-wired to the network.

FredZ

Note: The WRT54G has 3 MAC addresses, if you entered the MAC address on the label you have entered the wrong MAC address.

To find the correct MAC address.

Form the WAP54G

Place it in AP Client mode

Do a site survey.

Note the SSID of your router and the associated MAC address.

Place the WAP54G in repeater mode and enter the MAC address noted.

Ensure that if you have security on the WRT54G it should be replicated on the WAP54G.

The WAP54G should also be on the same channel as the WRT54G

SSID is not particularly relevant.

Regards

Fred

murrays

dear fredz,

i have followed your advice, and done a 'site survey', and the MAC that shows up there is the same MAC i was entering.  the security and channel are set to the same as on the wrt54g.

also, for testing purposes, i have the wap54g in the same room as, not 10 feet from, the wrt54g.  but, still no internet access thru it. :smileysad:

FredZ

ok, lets start at the start, follow these simple instructions and it should function.

Connect to your WAP54G as per this article. 

Upgrade the firmware on the WAP54G to the latest version 3.04.03 available here.

Reset the WAP54G to factory defaults as per this article.

Now that the WAP54G is fully up to date and is at factory defaults we can reconfigure the WAP54G. But first we must change a setting on ther router.

On the router turn off security. This will help to debug things should something not work. We will turn it back on later.

From the WAP54G change it to AP Clint mode and do a site survey for your router. Note the MAC address. Now select Repeater mode and enter tyher MAC address noted.

Save and continue.

Now check that the WAP54G is on the same channel as the router.

Now check that they are both in the same mode (b,mixed,g)

Now check that the Default Gateway on the WAP54G is set to the IP of the router.

At this point you should be able to connect to the WAP54G with a wireless client and get a valid IP from the router. If not then you need to check that the router is setup to issue IP and that it is active. You can also test this by connecting to the router rather than the WAP54G. You may also have to remove the stored wireless profile on your client and connect again to rebuild it.

Assumming you got to this point it is going, so you can turn on WPA security on the router and the WAP54G. Make sure the pass phrases are the same.

It should all be gong now.

I actually think that your original problem may have stemmed from the firmware, as versions prior the 3.04.03 didn't support WPA in Bridge/Repeater modes although it could be selected.

Regards

Fred

murrays

thank you for the assistance.  i followed your instructions, but it is still not working.  are you sure 'wireless repeater' mode will work with no ethernet cable connected to the WAP54G?  because you did not mention to unplug the ethernet cable from the WAP54G after all setup was completed. the setup works fine in either wireless repeater mode or AP mode when the ethernet cable is plugged in.  but as soon as the cable is removed (which is what we want, as this is to be setup a couple hundred feet away) no ip addresses are assigned.

we are using WEP in our network, so the WPA problem is not an issue.

FredZ

Sorry I forgot to mention that in Repeater mode the WAP54G (and it fact all Access Points) expect no connection to the LAN port.

There is no logic to the answer you have given.

Provided you followed the instructions above the WAP54G should function as a complete wireless repeater (no cables except for power). If it doesn't then you need to go back and check your work to ensure tou follwed "all" of the instructions and not just galnced over them saying "I have already done that".

In particular you should upload the firnware I have mentioned and do a reset on the AP as this does resolve some misc issues.

Regards

Fred