Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
taataafo

Is PSK, PSK2 the same things as WPA, WPA2

On a Linksys WRT350N wireless router the following are listed under wireless security: PSK-Personal, PSK2-Personal, PSK-Enterprise, PSK2-Enterprise, RADIUS, & WEP.

On a Linksys WAP4400N wireless access point the following listed are under wireless security: WPA-Personal, WPA2-Personal, WPA2-Personal Mixed, WPA-Enterprise, WPA2-Enterprise, WPA2 Enterprise Mixed, & WEP.

The industry says its best to apply a WPA or WPA2 to a home network which I a building. It also advices to apply same security settings on all connected networking devices. I do not see a WPA or WPA2 on the Linksys WRT350N wireless router but see PSK & PSK2. Is this same things as WPA, WPA2 found on the Linksys WAP4400N.

If they are not same then it means I have to use WEP security settings on both router and access points a security setting that is reported to be weak and adviced against using.

All comments will be highly appreciated.

saber_tooth

Re: Is PSK, PSK2 the same things as WPA, WPA2

PSK does relate to WPA. PSK2 is nothing but WPA2 which is an even more advanced option than WPA/PSK. This basically lets you use WPA2 by entering a "pre-shared key" which is nothing but a secured password.
taataafo

Thanks for the post saber_tooth. Much appreciated.

If you say PSK does relate to WPA and PSK2 is nothing but WPA2 do I take it that I can make PSK2 the wireless security setting on the Router and then WPA2 on the Access Point and this will not cause any problems. I ask this because all literature advises that one uses the same security settings on all networked devices (in this case Router and Access Points ) to avoid any issues that might result in failure of these devices working.

Thank you again. Expect your post.

Regards.

saber_tooth

Yes, you can enable PSK2 Encryption/Wireless Security on your Linksys Router and WPA2 on your Access Point and it will not cause any problems...

Do not worry, setting up both devices like this will help you communicate them and will not result in failure of these devices...

taataafo

Thanks again saber_tooth. You have been most kind. I will try out the security settings as you have suggested and post my report next week after some days trial.

Kind regards.