Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rigg
Accepted Solution

One access point for different networks

Hi all,

I need to use an access point into several places: my home, my gf's, my office. I plan to use the same device for all 3 places.

My problem is: the 3 LANs have different setups (192.168.1.x for two, 192.168.0.x for another, and the gateways have different addresses).

If the access point could obtain its network setting with DHCP, this will be nice. I searched inside different pdf manuals, and the Linksys access points seem not be designed to be DHCP client. Maybe am I wrong ? Or maybe someone have another idea ?

dcalcutt

Re: One access point for different networks

What are you trying to do at all the places?

Maybe you should be looking at a desktop control program.

Darrin J. Calcutt, CEO, COO

Canadian Locomotive Logistics

http://atc.lovethosetrains.com

http://my.hdvideo.ca
FredZ

You need to let us know the model of acces point

Regards

Fred

Rigg

I can't give you this name because I'm searching an access point able to do that. I don't have one, and I won't buy one before being sure one model or another can do that. I know 2 DLINK models how do that without any problem, but I rally prefer Linksys, thus my message :-)
FredZ

I wouldn't use an access point, fit a wireless card directly to your client, then you can set your client to directly direct to the various networks without changing anything once it is setup.

If you use an acces point you will inveriably have to alter some setings in the AP to make it function.

That is assuming your not using an AP in client mode, but even that would need some tweaking.

Regards

Fred

Rigg

I don't understand your answer. My client already have a wireless card, this is a laptop. And having a wireless card don't allow me to connect to those networks because they are wired networks (else, why to bother with a second access point ?!).

You say the access point always needs tweeking when going to another network, but I know 2 DLINK devices without this need (once configured): they are able to be DHCP client. Reading the answers here, I then have to buy DLINK instead of Linksys. Not really my cup of tea :smileysad:

FredZ

You were not specific about that configuration, you actually asked about an access point so that you could connect at various locations. The assumption was your client didn't have wireless capabilities.

Now your configuration is for a single site wireless connection. So lets deal with that.

Any wireless access point (AP) will do the job. Assuming the AP is wired to your existing router then all should be good. If you don't have an existing router then you will need a wireless router rather than an AP.

As far as wireless APs are concerned I am a fan of the WAP54G. As for N mode APs, I would stay away from them untill after the specification has been ratified.

If in bout, read the reviews of any device you are looking at, and ask questions about specific devices in forums like this. If they are rubbish, people will say quickly, and you can always find out if there are common problems by reading the forums as well.

Regards

Fred

dibbler

You  can configure WAP54G in DHCP client mode. It has both options available on it.