Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rbabezki

Reset WAP54G Password

I have taken over maintenance of a customer site from another service provider. I need to reprogram several WAP54G units. I have reset the units with the reset button. However, this does not reset the admin password back to admin.

How do I reset the unit to get the password back to the factory default settings?
techie

Re: Reset WAP54G Password

..... Even after holdinng the reset on the access point if the pssword does not gets back to factory settings then,

>hardReset the access point (hold the reset button down for 1min. with the power on for the access point)
>And then unplugg the power to access point wait 10secs. and then plugg the power back in.

....... this will get the access point (password) back to the factory default settings
betopizza

I tryed the 1 min procedure but didnt worked... how can i reset my access point to admin dafault?
rbabezki

After much trial and error, I found this approach to work. With the power cable in, press the reset button for AT LEAST 60 seconds. Then unplug the power to the unit for AT LEAST 15 seconds. Next, you will need the installation software CD-ROM that matches the rev level of your device. This match is critical. If your CD-ROM does not match the rev of the firmware, you will get no further.

Load the appropriate CD-ROM, power up you unit and connect the network cable. The CD-ROM software will load and try to find your device on the network. If at first it does not find the unit, shut down the software completely and restart the program. Once the software detects your unit, it will ask you for the password. It is at this point that you can put in the default "admin" password. The software should then be able to open the configuration capability of the unit.

At no time was I abel to directly enter the web based device configuration page on the device itself without using the CD-ROM. I found this after resetting 20 units over a period of 3 days.
Evil_Spirit

I have the Access Point WAP54G and connection works if it is not secured. I tried to go and change the security settings but the freakin password woudn´t work.

I Tried to push the reset for well over 60s and unplugged the power for at least 20s but still it won´t accept the admin password. I get a following error message though: "access violation at address ..... in setup.exe....". Could I possible have the wrong version of the CD? My CD´s firmware version is 2.08 and in access point stands version 2.

Any help to solve the problem is appreciated.

- Evil Spirit -
brown812005

I have the same problem at the step 4 of the setup i recive that error :Access violation at address 00492BB6 in module 'Setup.exe'.Write of Address 8B885589.

It is strange and frustrating since the device is brand new and i cant use it because dont even runs the setup.

I hope someone will give us a hand.
jagreenough

You should not need the setup cd at all to get into the AP.there is a local web server running on the AP.  After you hold in the reset button for 10 sec or so and release it, the ip of the AP should be set to 192.168.1.254.  I have 2 and they behave this way.  Sometimes the reset button is fussy. use a bent paperclip and made sure it remains depressed for the full 10 sec or so.

I think the manual is wrong on how to log in (as far as username/password).  But once you've done this (reset as above), and with the AP connected with a cable to your LAN, can you ping 192.168.1.254?  to ping it, under start->programs->accessories->command prompt gives you a dos window.  in that dos windonw type:
ping 192.168.1.254

do you get a response?

If so, you're almost there.  now open a browser.  type in the address: 192.168.1.254.

you should be a linksys login window.  If so, leave username blank and type "admin" in the password field.  this should get you in.  Once you get this far, post back.

jeff
Renaissance

[ Edited ]
I have had the same trouble.
This is what fixed mine (WAP54G V.2)
With the unit powered up and stable:
1. Hold the reset button down until the Link light (yellow) goes out.
The Activity light (green) will go out about one-two seconds after the Link light.
Keep holding the reset button in until the Link light comes back on and the Activity light is also on again.
2. Remove the power for a few seconds.
3. Power the unit up and wait form the Link and Activity lights to stablize and try to run the wizard. I have tried the wizard from the download site and it didn't work. The one on the CD that came with the units does. If you want a copy of it let me know. Remember it is for the V.2 versions.

By the way. The default IP address for these units is 192.168.1.245
NOT 192.168.1.254. Note: it ends in 245 (TWO FOUR FIVE) not 254.

Just another update:
Even if the wizard doesn't work. I have been able to get into the HTML config utility. Username (blank), Password admin.

Cheers,
Chris :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Renaissance on 02-22-200703:44 AM

abadger2k7

I think the only reason the methods noted above haven't been working for people is that you need to understand that the default login is user:blank, password:admin, not the other way around.

--@wb
LMCGREW

I just had all of the problems listed above and none of the repairs listed worked for me. I have 3 WAP54GP units and needed admin access. Hit the reset button until the Power light goes off and comes back on. It will blink then go steady. The ethernet and wireless lights will continue to flicker. I used a linksys 5 port switch, off of my network to talk to the WAP from my laptop. Again, the ONLY two devices on the switch were the WAP and laptop. I set my TCP/IP for the laptop to 192.168.1.10, default mask and used a gateway of 192.168.1.0. I tried to ping 192.168.1.245 - nothing came back. Set internet explorer to http://192.168.1.245 and I got the log in screen. I eventually used admin for the user name and password, that got me right in. Now I can configure the WAP to my liking. To recap, use a local network without DHCP, manual IP address to match the WAP, try Username: admin and Password: admin Good luck to you all!