Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accessable

SES Inactive

Well, I have set up the encryption correctly, and I assume that you have to press the button above SES Inactive, but when I do, it says that I need to push a button on my accesspoint within two minutes.  Well, I checked and my Access point does not have any button except the reset button.  Its the WAP54G Ver. 2 model .  Am I missing something??  Should I just ignore this, or what??
ridcully

Re: SES Inactive

hi... access point is configured in which "mode"....please let me know the entire network setup that you have for e.g wireless router, wireless adapter and OS onthe computer so that i can tell you step by step...
Accessable

My Access Point is configured for AES. I have a linksys Wireless-G Router, and the access point. I have the wireless option disabled on my router (WRT54GS), and the access point's security is what I want enabled. All adapters are linksys adapters, and the computers all have Windows XP as the OS. On the access point, I have inputed a passphrase. The mode is set to mixed, I've named the network, I left the channel setting where it was at, and SSID broadcast is set to enabled. Below that, the button for current encryption = WPA Personal with "Status : SES Inactive" Hope this is all the info you needed. Any help would be appreciated.
FredZ

I think you will find that the term mode was ment to imply the MODE of the device/s. IE. AP/Repeater/Bridge etc.  This will be because some devices don't allow some features in particular modes or become incompatible with other devices.  This includes security features.

Regards

Fred
Accessable

Well, I have two computers running off the router thru ethernet lines. I have the third line connecting to the Access Point Upstairs. The Access Point is what I want to run two wireless computers thru. I didn't think this would be a problem to do....
FredZ

Just so I can be clear, this is what you have got:

The WRT54G has the radio (wireless) turned off.
And you are attempting to setup security on the AP
I am also assuming you are attempting to connect to the AP wirelessly.

Can you please identify the AP for us. Make/Model/Firmware ver
Within the setup of the AP, please tell us what mode the AP is configured for (AP/Bridge/Repeater)
Tell us if you can actually connect to the AP wirelessly without security turned on.

You obviously have reasons for configuring your network as you have, but I would like to make a suggestion.

This is the configuration I would have put in place:

Turn on the radio on the WRT54G
Set the channel for both device to the same (ie 1)
Set the SSID for both devices to be the same (ie mynet) and set to broadcast.
Turn on and set the DHCP on the WRT54G
Set the AP to get its IP via DHCP
Set both devices up in AP mode

Test without any security. You should be able to connect wirelessly to either device and surf the net.

Set the security up.  Recommend doing it manually.  Set both devices to use WPA-Personal TKIP and set the same pass phrase on both devices.

Now test the connection again.  Now when you connect, depending on the client, it may ask for the pass phrase.  If not, you will have to manually enter it in your network configuration of the client.

Now that that is going you can turn off SSID broadcast.

That is about all yo need to do.  And this type of configuration works for almost all brands and models of Router and AP.

If your AP and WRT54G are compatable you may wish to use repeater mode on the AP or even look at using MAC filtering.

The simplest thing is to get it all going without any trick stuff first. then start playing with the other stuff, but only ever change one thing at a time, because you can then work out what didn't work, and then ask questions as to why.

I hope my suggestions have helped.

Regards

Fred
Accessable

[ Edited ]
First off, thank you for the help. I'll try your settings tonight when I get home. You mentioned that if the AP and the WRT54GS were compatible, I may wish to use repeater mode on the AP, or even using the MAC filtering. What benefit would there be in using these modes? Sorry, I'm kind of new to this. Thanks again being so patient with me!

Message Edited by Accessable on 08-21-2007 07:53 PM
FredZ

I have to start here by saying that I don't know of the benefits of any specific mode over another as  all of my APs run in AP mode only as I operate a city wide mesh network and have no need to use other modes, hence I don't have knowledge of why you would use them, just that I know other people use these modes for various reasons. Someone else may like to jump in here and explain some of the pros and cons of various modes.

AP Repeater:  This mode allows your wireless signal to be repeated to/from your WRT54G.

MAC filtering (both ends):  This mode allows only those devices listed in the MAC list to communicate with the device.  This means that even if you had SSID broadcast turned off and someone discovered your AP by some means they would still have to have the correct MAC address on there card to connect to the AP/Router, and then assuming you had WPA active they would also need to know the pass phrase as well.

Bridge: This mode only allows the 2 devices to connect and clients have to use the ethernet connection to gain access to the network.  This is mostly used as a point to point wireless network to a wired network.  Typicaly between buildings where a cable is impractical but both ends have an existing wired network at both ends.

For the most part for the average home network most people will setup a single AP/Router to gain wireless access to their network.  Most people will setup WPA as their security as it is more secure than WEP. Whilst most people won't, they should always turn off SSID broadcast after setup so there network is not immediately visible.

Some people may have a second AP/Repeater/Router to extend their network coverage and they may be configured in a number of different modes, I prefer AP mode for compatability.

Whilst I haven't answered all your questions I hope I have answered some.

Regards

Fred