Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Harlan

Unable to reset WAP54G V2

Hello,
I was trying to get my WAP54G to use WPA/WPA2; I since found out this is not possible. I was giving up on the WPA/WPA2 setting and going back to WEP. The access point was not working with the correct WEP settings.

On the built-in web page I clicked on the SES symbol. A white page came up saying to push the client's button. I have no client with a button to push, so I let this go for a couple of minutes. Nothing happened. I then unplugged the access point, waiting a few seconds, then plugged in again. Power and link lights came on, activity light did NOT! I tried pressing the reset button, holding for up to 2 minutes, then unplugging/plugging in the unit again. I've tried several reset suggestions found by searching the internet. None of the suggestions has worked. It will not respond to a ping at 192.168.1.245, nor the last IP address I had it set to.

If unplug the unit from my computer, the link light with go out and come back on when plugged in again. I believe that unit is not totally fried or locked up. However I can't get into it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Harlan...
FredZ

Re: Unable to reset WAP54G V2

Harlan

Hi Fred,
Thanks for replying. I have already read the document, specifically about resetting the hardware. I realize I didn't mention it specifically, but it was one of the resources I came across during my search for ideas.

The problem is that the activity (ACT) light does not come on at all any more, the unit does not respond to pings any more, at any address. After pressing and holding the reset button for any where between 10 seconds and 2 minutes, the activity light still does not come on or blink or anything. And the unit still does not respond to any pings.

Thanks,

Harlan...
Harlan

[ Edited ]
Hi Fred,

In another email thread, next to mine in the list, "Bricked WAP54G", the procedures I believe you are referring to. I will try this when I get home tonight.

Thanks, Harlan...

Message Edited by Harlan on 06-30-2008 08:52 AM
FredZ

Try this procedure:
Set the IP of your client to 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0
Connect directly yot the WAP54G via the LAN
Turn off the power to the WAP54G
from the command prompt of your client type the following command "ping 192.168.1.245 -t". This command will contuniously ping the default IP of your WAP54G
Now turn on the power to your WAP54G.
If I am corrcet your client will respond to ping for about 2 seconds from the time you turn the power on and then stop responding.

If this is the case following the instructions in my document on how to TFTP new firmware to your WAP54G and that should reoslve your problem.

If that isn't the case then you will probably need to follow a couple of the links in the document that describe how to de-brick your WAP54G.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Fred
Harlan

Hi Fred,
I followed the instructions on page 9 of your guide. Pings only return:
harlan@star64 linksys $ ping 192.168.1.245
PING 192.168.1.245 (192.168.1.245) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.30 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.30 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.30 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable

The tftp (atftp) returns:
harlan@star64 linksys $ atftp -p -l LinksysWAP54G_3.04.trx 192.168.1.245 -P admin
Option password = admin
timeout: retrying...
tftp: aborting

No matter how many times I've reset it, nothing seems to work.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Harlan...
FredZ

Follow the links at the end of the document, one of them explains how to de-brick your WAP54G. It requires that you open the WAP54G and short a pin and then turning on the AP, then doing the TFTP thing. Let me know how you go, if you don't have any success then PM me you email address and I will see what I can do. Regards Fred