Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rah1

Using WAP610N with WRT610N

I currently am using a WRT610N wireless router for my home network. Everything is working but my wireless coverage is not optimal. My cable modem is located in the basement but I wireless connect on the first floor. There are some noticable weak signal areas there.

Here's what I thought might work for me. Get a WAP610N and connect it on the first floor. This would probably fix my signal issues.

Since all my wired ethernet connections are used, I'd get a cheap 5-port switch and the PC and WAP610N would both be connected to the switch to share the single wired ethernet connection.

Can the WAP610N and WRT610N be used this way? Can they both actively support wireless connections, handing off to each other based on the strongest signal?

peanuts

Re: Using WAP610N with WRT610N

Modem > Router(WRT610N) > Switch > Access Point (WAP610N). If you are trying to use the similar kind of connection then it should work.

rah1

That's great.

As far as setting up the WAP610N, do I just duplicate any current settings that are set on the WRT610N as far as security and SSID?

peanuts

It is not required that you set the same network name and security on WAP610N which you have on WRT610N. You can also use different SSiD and security key.

henridemers

I have the same equipment, but cannot get connected to the WAP610n.  Every device I have tried to connect indicates that it cannot find the IP, although the signal is excellent.  I have the WAP610n configured identically to the WRT610n with WPA2 and the same network name. Computers are WinXP Pro, and the router and WAP are connected to a wired network fed by a cable modem.   I do not understand how a device that is intended as an additional wireless access point on a wireless network could be so difficult to configure; this thing really should be plug-and-plan and I cannot believe Cisco/Linksys does not have a simple out-of-the-box configuration solution for this product.  Right now, it's a $100 paperweight.  Any help would be most welcome. 

rah1

Hi,

I was able to get my WAP610N connected. The first time I plugged it in and waited until the flashing status light went solid blue, the Linksys CD utility failed to find it. I restarted the WAP610 again and then it worked.

The instructions suggest once your WAP610N is on line, you can find the IP address by checking the IP table on your router. Funny thing but I was not able to find anything like that on the WRT610N.

Since all the lights on the WAP610N were blue, I assumed that it had successfully gotten an IP address from the WRT610N. Knowing the range of IP addresses that the WRT610N DHCP server had available to hand out, I was able to scan the network with a freeware utility call SoftPerfect Network Scanner ( www.softperfect.com ). Once I knew the IP address, I was able to access the web admin app on the W610N.

I recommend that you use a different SSID on the WAP610N than the one on the WRT610N. That way you'll know for sure which device you are actually connected to.

Good luck.