Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ssettl2

WAP54G Antenna Connector Type

Can anyone confirm for me that the newest (current) WAP54G access point uses a RP-TNC antenna socket? I was disappointed yesterday when I purchased a new WRT54g and found that the antennas are not removable.

Thanks,
Steve
imran205

Re: WAP54G Antenna Connector Type

recently i have purchased wap54g access point. It has TNC Connector and yes they are also removable.
ridcully

Yes you can use it with Latest WAP54G ....

ssettl2

Thanks for the info. I did buy one and put my external antenna on it and can now connect from my entire property (>1000 ft with trees and such)!!
kevk

Hi,

Can you tell me what sort of antenna you used. I'm thinking of doing the same thing and was looking at a 15dbi omni-directional antenna?

Thanks!
ssettl2

[ Edited ]
Kevk,

I used the following bought from radiolabs.com.

2.4 GHz 11.8 db Omni-Directional WiFi Antenna
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/11dbomni.php

LMR-400 WiFi Cable RP-TNC

At my house I have a WRT54G transmitting via the omni antenna, and at the other end, I have a WAP54G running in repeater mode with the backfire directional antenna pointed towards the omni. I have a different SSID on each box, so I can tell which one I'm connected to.

Oh, and repeater mode on the WAP54G doesn't support WPA encryption, so I'm using WEP128.

Steve

Message Edited by ssettl2 on 04-14-2008 04:23 AM
FredZ

Linksys inform me that the WPA issue was resolved in the 3.04 firmware. I haven't tested it yet so cannot validate their claim.

Maybe you could test and feedback the results.

Regards

Fred
Trignet

I do quite a few of these types of setups as mentioned above.
I also find that at www.hyperlinktech.com has the same equipment at nicer prices!

also got burned by the WRT54G v8's with no removable antenna.
either have to switch to all WAP's or go to another brand I think.
zisiang

[ Edited ]
Hi ssettl2,

Can you share with us more about the method you mount these onto the WRT54G and the WAP54G, since both of these devices has "two antennas".

1piece only = 2.4 GHz 11.8 db Omni-Directional WiFi Antenna
1piece only = High Gain Backfire Wireless Antenna

And also.. if I wish to follow the same method, would you suggest me to mount the modified antenna near or outside the window..? I'm also planning to do this with 2 units of WAP54G v3.1, I wonder if it works well.. Thanks in advanced for sharing :smileyhappy:

zisiang

Message Edited by zisiang on 05-08-2008 01:16 PM
ssettl2

On both devices, I just replaced 1 antenna with the new antenna. On the WAP54G, you can set the antenna diversity to left, right or both. I chose the side that has the new antenna. The WRT54G (with default firmware) has no such option, so it still transmits and receives via the antenna with strongest signal (which I would assume is the higher gain antenna anyway).

As for inside or outside a window, it depends on your success with it inside. I would try whichever way is easier first, and if it fails, do the other. I originally had my omni-antenna inside my attic, but when winter turned to spring and the trees grew leaves, my signal diminished, but moving the antenna outside did the trick.

Good Luck!