Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dc41

WAP54G LAN port support wired computer connection when set up as Repeater?

I have been able to find the answer to this question. I assume the answer is no, but I thought I would double check. When the WAP54G is set up as a repeater for a WRT54G, will a computer connected to the LAN port on the WAP54G be able to connect to the network? I know it will see the WAP54G if I manually set it's ip address.

I guess I want it to act as a wireless NIC for the desktop while also operating as a repeater. Is this possible? If not, will one of the other AP settings like Bridge allow the wired connection to connect to the other side of the network and give wireless access to wireless devices?

I've hacked up and attached one of Linksys's diagrams to show what I'm trying to do. It seems to me the easiest thing to do would be to buy a wireless NIC for the desktop. Any thoughts? ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Wireless-LAN.jpg

saber_tooth

Re: WAP54G LAN port support wired computer connection when set up as Repeater?

If you configure the WAP54G in a Repeater mode .. Than No you cannot connect any computer with the LAN port of WAP .. You can only use your desktop wirelessly with the wireless adapter.

kawal

no. if it's set up as a repeater, then it's basically a "stand-alone" device with nothing connected to it. if you want to connect to its ethernet port, you'll have to set it as an AP or a bridge.

rdshannon

This answer is incorrect. The WAP54G does support a computer connection (or Ethernet switch to many computers) on its LAN port when configured in repeater mode, providing a wireless connection back to a WRT54G router.

In fact, I am writing this reply from a laptop connected via cable directly to the LAN port of a WAP54G which is configured in repeater mode, and the connecting via wireless link only to a WRT54G router. (The WAP54G is hardware ver. 3, running firmware 3.04.)

A screenshot of the WAP54G AP Mode setup screen, taken as I am writing this reply, follows. Note that under the WAP54G setup repeater mode selection, the MAC address entered there is the MAC address of the wireless interface on the router, which is obtained from the router's web interface on the Status, Wireless page.

Linksys 2011-09-25 09-12-51.jpeg

Ron Shannon

Cruzcom Systems

rdshannon

I should note that in the above configuration I have not been able to get WAP or WAP2 to work between the AP and router, only WEP. Doesn't mean it won't work, but....

froghos

I have been using my WAP54G in repeater mode with a computer or switch connected to the Ethernet port for over 2 years.  I have been using WAP security.  I have had issues with connecting when WAP is enabled, but was instructed to change my SSID, the same on both ends, to something that was not used before by tech support.  After doing this everything worked.  I only experience problems when I start making configuration changes to the wireless network, at which point I need to set all settings up, save my changes, then change my SSID to something new.  Hope this helps.