Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Phoenix1504

WAP54G hook up to Sony blu-ray player

I am trying to get network access to my Sony BDP-S550 blu-ray player using a WAP54G Access Point but nothing seems to work right.

I have a Linksys WRT160N wireless router which I have set up upstairs to wirelessly connect my two notebook computers in my office. Because of where my video components are situated downstairs, I needed to find a way to wirelessly connect the blu-ray to my upstairs wireless router.  I was told by the people at the store where I got the WAP54G that it was what I needed.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I have attempted to configure the WAP54G a number of times, but everytime I plug it into the blu-ray's network connection and run a network diagnostic from the blu-ray's menu, I get an error message saying that it was unable to connect to the DNS Server. I have checked all of the cables and power sources and they seem to be OK.

The access point does appear on my wireless network.

The last time I attempted to set it up, I used the default settings of the WAP54G and changed the SSID, channel, and WEP to my network's settings.

Then attached the WAP54G via network cable to the blu-ray player and set the player's settings to the WAP54G's settings.  NO LUCK.

I probably need a more detailed step-by-step solution to how to set this up then what I find can find on the hardware disks or what is on the Linksys site.

What am I doing wrong???

FredZ

Re: WAP54G hook up to Sony blu-ray player

You have effectively done everything correct accept for the mode of the WAP54G,  set this to AP Client mode and it should all work not withstanding the IP settings on your DVD player.

Don't forget to set the default Gateway on the WAP54G to the IP of your router.

The reason why your configuration wouldn't work is because the WAP54G was in AP mode and 2 APs will not talk to each other in AP mode.

The IP settings on your DVD player should be something like

IP=Unique to fitt your network.

Gateway=IP of router

DNS=IP of router

Regards

Fred

castor

I think you can go for a WGA54G. This will solve your problem.
Phoenix1504

Thanks Fred,

However, after numerous attampts to hook the WAP54G up to my network and blu-ray player, I found that the WAP54G was defective and returned it.

Now, before I go out and purchase a Linksys wireless game adapter, is there a way to configure my old Microsoft Model MN-700 wireless router to act as a wireless game adapter?  It is, in essence, an access point, right?

If this is possible, is there some third party software available that I can get which will make it EASY to configure it so that it can access my current network and do what I want it to do?

By the way, thanks for all your help!

FredZ

I cannot answer any questions about configuring your MN-700 as I am not familiar with it.

DD-WRT and OpenWRT does support the MN-700.

Regards

Fred

Phoenix1504

Thanks, I thought I'd give it a try.

dcalcutt

Fred is right, you need to set the WAP54G to client mode. This way it accepts a wireless connection to pass it on teatherd.

What does the Blue Ray need for the network?

WAP54G only use TCP/IP. I'm wandering what the SOny is doing?

Darrin J. Calcutt, CEO, COO

Canadian Locomotive Logistics

http://atc.lovethosetrains.com

http://my.hdvideo.ca
FredZ

Try this configuration as a generic starting point.

Assumptions:

The Router IP is 192.168.1.1 and is on channel 1 with an unsecured wireless network.

WAP54G

IP=192.168.1.2

Gateway=192.168.1.1

AP Client mode. Place the MAC address of the router in the MAC table, to get the correct MAC address you should do a site survey and select the SSID of your router.

Channel=1

BlueRay Player

IP=192.168.1.3

Gateway=192.168.1.1

DNS=192.168.1.1

If your wireless network is secured then you should match the security on your router on all other wireless devices including the WAP54G. For obvious reasons the BlueRay device won't have any security because it will be wired to the WAP54G.

FYI:

Because of the potential data load the streaming video will place on the WAP54G it may be advantages to put the WAP54G in B mode only.This will result in a more stable wireless link between the WAP54G and the router, and even though the data rate will be decreased it will actually pass more data more efficiently and you will not suffer frame loss or audio jitter. The codec being used on the BlueRay player will also be a facter in this as well.

Regards

Fred