Gigaherx

WAP54G v3.1 - Identify AP IP number WITHOUT reset?

I need to access the configuration tool of a WAP54G v3.1 at my father in law's house. For whatever reason the IP is not 192.168.1.245, apparently this has been changed by his employer to ...244, but that doesn't work either (also trying with cable between computer and AP). Is there any chance to figure out the current IP of the AP? I do not want to reset the AP as I don't know what other changes has been made, just want to add my new laptop in the MAC adress list ... Thanx for your help
FredZ

Re: WAP54G v3.1 - Identify AP IP number WITHOUT reset?

Frankly you would be better off resetting the WAP54G because there are only 2 settings to change to suite your network.

The default gateway is the most importent, this is always the IP of yout router. And of course the IP of the WAP54G itself, and again this should be within your network subnet (IP range).

There are plenty of IP scanners out there if you want to find the current IP if the WAP54G, I use an application called Angry IP found here

Regards

Fred
quack

Hey try resetting the Access point for 30 secs in such a way that power light is blinking on the Access point & then if you have the router all the wireless settings of the router you need to do on the Access poing & you will be able to go Online wirelessly!!!
Gigaherx

Hi FredZ thanx for advise. I see you are quite active/helpful here, which is very much appreciated.

I actually found the LinkSys SetUp CD and started the SetUp wizard. It searched for the AP and found it at 192.168.1.244 (which is the IP the IT guys from my father-in-law's company wrote down at the time they set it up). I canceled the SetUp at this point and everything is still running as before.

However: When trying to access this IP by entering it into the browser I do not get any hint of the web interface. Please note that AngryIP / IPscan (192.168.0.0 -> 192.168.1.255) did not find anything at this IP either.

Have you seen / heard this before? How can I access the web interface (ultimate goal is to add a MAC adress?)

Again: I do not want to reset anthing ... It's my father in laws environment and this can go only wrong ;-)
Gigaherx

Hey Quack - thanx for your note.

I really, really want to avoid resetting as the system is running fine - I "just" need to find access to the web interface.

Again, thanx for your support, appreciated
FredZ

To be able to connect to the WAP54G web interface your client should also be on the same subnet.

IE. if your WAP54G is at 192.168.1.244 then your client should be at 192.168.1.?

The setup CD can find it on a different subnet becuase it is using a different protocol to talk to the WAP54G.

Regards

Fred
Gigaherx

I love you :smileywink:

... only in a "you solved my problem and I'm most grateful" way, of course - but still !!!

It's so true: simple solutions are not always the best, but the best solution is always simple.

Thanx so much