Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jaxcad

WAP54GPE to WAP54GPE settings

In one job trailer (Main) I have (cable modem-WRT54GS-WAP54GPE) and in the other job trailer (Remote) I have (BEFSR41-WAP54GPE).  I am a little confused on how to configure the two WAP54GPE’s.  The Main trailer works great off of the WRT54GS.  My goal is to get the Remote trailer email & internet service and be able to communicate with a Buffalo Link Station in the Main Trailer.

Do I set the Main WAP to Access Point, Repeater or Bridge?  If repeater or bridge what MAC do I use?  The same question for the Remote WAP.  Do I need to change the IP for one of the WAP’s both currently have 192.168.1.245?  They both have the same SSID, channel, WPA encryption and pass code.

Also how can I tell the difference between WAP’s not communicating properly vs. not “seeing” each other?

Ikester

Re: WAP54GPE to WAP54GPE settings

Since you have a wireless router the first WAP54GPE has to be in repeater mode from the WRT54GS.  I do have some questions.  Since you have a BEFSR41 in the remote trailer does that router have a internet connection to?  How far away are the two trailers? 

Now if they are close enough you could wire the first WAP54GPE to the router and set it up as a bridge.  The second WAP54GPE would be the other side of the bridge and wire it to a switch/hub the to the other PC's.

Now if you need the wireless option then set the first WAP54GPE as a repeater from the router and the second WAP54GPE as a repeater from the first WAP54GPE.  This configuration you will not be able to hard wire any computers to.  Also you will need to change the IP on the second WAP54GPE to 192.168.1.246 or what every you networks IP range is.  So it would be router: 192.168.1.1,  AP1:192.168.1.245,  AP2:192.168.1.246 and the WRT54GS would control the DHCP.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
Jaxcad

The remote trailer does not have internet connection.  I am trying to use an extra BEFSR41 we had as a router for the remote WAP.  Should I be using something else?  Note there will be a max of 2 computers in the remote trailer.  The trailers are about 500' apart, hard wire not possible hence the WAP's.  Note the main WAP has the HGA9N antenna.

I will try the settings you suggested.  Just to clarify (under AP tab) I set the main WAP to repeater and use the MAC address of the WRT54GS.  And the remote WAP I set it to repeater as well and use the MAC address of the main WAP.
Ikester

Yes that is correct if all the PC's are wireless.  The 2 PC's in the second trailer are they wired ot wireless.  If they are wired then set the 2 WAP54GPE's as a bridge and use a switch between the second WAP54GPE and the wired PC's in the second remote trailer.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
Jaxcad

Thank you for your assistance.  The two AP's can communicate with each other.  However the signal is not steady and the link is broken more than it is connected.  A direct line of sight connection cannot be achieved and there may be some electronic interference in the area. We are going to try adding the HGA9N antenna to the second AP to see if that will correct the problem.   If not I will address this issue in a new posting.