Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rkrk1977
Accepted Solution

WAP54GX connection problems. Help!

I was given a WAP54GX unit.  I've been able to access the set-up screen just fine.  With no security settings set (no passwords or MAC filtering) and the network cable plugged in, I receive a strong signal from the unit but with no connection to the internet.  When I pull the network cable from the router and plug it into the computer, all is fine.

Is the unit defective or am I missing a setting that will magically make it work?

Thanks for your help!

great_white

Re: WAP54GX connection problems. Help!

What is the IP address of your router? What is the IP address of the access point?

Make sure that your access point and router both are in the same IP address range.

rkrk1977

The router and access point are one in the same.  The network cable goes directly from the cable modem into the wireless access point.

kawal

on a modem setup, you'd normally connect a router instead of an access point (WAP54GX). if you're planning on connecting 2 or more wired/wireless computers to share the Internet connection, then you're gonna need a router instead of an access point.

rkrk1977

Thank you, most helpful!  So there's no way to make it work without a router as opposed to the access point.

jimabeth44

Cant get wireless router hooked up from local internet con. to wireless router and computer