Resorts

WAP54Gx CONSTANTLY losing connection

Hi All:

First off, I've read several "older" messages regarding my exact problem. I RECENTLY purchased a WAP54Gx (w/SRX). When I installed it the problem started immediately and I thought it was a config problem. After reading this forum I realize it is not. (I am not LAN ignorant...well, not too much but this WAP has me feeling that I am!!)

It loses connection regularly all day long. sometimes it works for an hour, other time every 5-10 minutes it goes "down". By down I mean, It's alive, I CAN ping and access it from a hard wired computer on the LAN, The wireless card in the laptop shows it as "connected" but I can't ping (or access) the WAP nor can I access (or ping) ANYTHING else on my LAN including (of course) the internet. If leave everything "as is" and simply power down and back up the WAP it re-connects and works fine for a short period. (ie anyhing from 1 hour to 5 minutes, far as I know it's never gone past a full hour of functionality).

I spotted a suggestion of changing the beacon setting from 100 to 50 and lowering the RTS and Threshold down by 40. I "think" that made it a "little" better (emphasis on "think") because it still goes down regularly but I think I got a couple of hours out of it yesterday.

PLEASE, HAS ANYONE BEEN GIVEN A WORKING FIX FOR THIS? It is so frustrating. I've always been a Linksys fan (The laptop card is a 54G card, etc etc) Never any problems until now.

Can ANYONE HELP PLEASE

=Dave R.=
Please email any suggestions to:  administrator@grand-resorts.com

Thanks in advance for ANY help.

oook

Re: WAP54Gx CONSTANTLY losing connection

Hi...
As u have already made all the advanced wireless setting on the router. I think that this may be the firmware issue.

Add the wireless network to the preferred network list on your computer. Then restart your computer.

Also make sure that you have all latest firmware installed on both the router as well as the WAP54GX.

NonPublic

Hi

I have same problem a time ago. I have last firmware and there is no change. 

FredZ

Flash the iunit with firmware 3.04.03 regardless if it is installed.

It seems some of the 3.x version devices are somewhat flakey in the flash and the simple act of flashing the unit seems to rectify it in most cases. Remember to do a hard reset after you have flashed the unit.

Regards

Fred

Resorts

[ Edited ]

Hi NonPub:

I had the same problem. Geez, I had forgotten how long ago I had installed that router. It's still functioning and I have overcome the problem but can't quite remember what I did. If you can't find a solution, let me know and I'll try to backtrack and post my settings. I know I only tweaked my settings to get it to work "fairly" dependably. Occasionally it still drops internet connection but comes back on it's own. This happens very rarely.

HOWEVER, I never flashed my WAP54Gx unit and it's version is currently ver 1.16 (Aug 3, 2005). Can anyone tell me if it's worthwhile chancing a flash update on my router? Will I gain speed? (My router "seems" slower than a "G" should be). What else would I gain from flashing to the 3.? version and is the firmware that was in the previous post correct for this router? I'm always hesitant to flash firmware and trash the unit :-). Has anyone flashed from 1.16 to the 3.? version successfully and what was the gain?

NonPup, Let me know how you make out and if I can help. Also, I would REALLY like to know if you flash your unit how it works out.

=Dave=

PS: Update: I just went to the Linksys/Cisco site and the most recent firmware update is 1.16? Where did you get the 3.? update from?

Message Edited by Resorts on 12-10-2009 07:53 PM
FredZ

I have assumed the Access Point (AP) in question is a WAP54G V3.x

Firmware version 3.04.03 resolved several issues, the most importent being WPA in Repeater/Bridge modes. It also seemed to resolve some ARP issues that appeared in some units.

This firmware is not suitable for the WAP54GL, WAP54GS, WAP54GP, WAP54GPE, WAP54GX

Regards

Fred

Resorts

Thanks Fred:

Mine is a WAP54GX. Thanks for the heads up before I tried to install the firmware.

=Dave=

NonPublic

[ Edited ]

Hi Fred, Dave. I have WAP54GX (with SRX) . I have last firmware installed but still have troubles.  I have the same problem with a WAP200. I would appreciate you help me with it.

10x 4 ur time 

Message Edited by NonPublic on 12-11-2009 01:58 PM