feihu

WAP55ag connected to cbl modem

I currently have a cable modem connection at my home. I need to connect two computers to this modem by wireless connection.

I have two WAP55AG Access Point that was given to me. Can I use these to make my systems wireless?

Thanks

Joe
binky

Re: WAP55ag connected to cbl modem

Yes you can connect the Access Point to the pc...open the setup page of the Access Point & do the wireless settings on the access point i.e., securing the network & doing the advanced wireless settings on the access point & then you could connect it wireless to your secured network & it will make you go online wirelessly!!!
FredZ

I think what you are actually trying to ask is that if you connect the WAP55G to your moden can you connect your computers to it wirelessly and use the internet.

Answer: NO

To do that you need a router.

I hope I have understood you correctly.

Regards

Fred
MrSato

Why do people say that?  The cable modem IS a router.  Plug an AP into the cable modem and you'll be able to surf wirelessly.  Plug a switch into the modem, and the AP into the switch (and whatever other wired devices you like) and if your modem does DHCP with more than one address in the pool, those devices will be able to surf too - some wireless some wired.  The problem is some cable modems only give out one IP.  So  only one device can be online.  Same with if you plug the AP directly into the modem... if the cable modem only allows one device to be connected, it will only allow the AP, and nothing that is connected to the AP.

Terminolgy:

Router - routes IP packets (data).

AP - connects wireless devices to the physical network

The one you're missing is "Gateway"... which actually has two meanings in the IT world, but in this case, it is a device that acts like a firewall, NATing the private side (your local LAN) and routing that traffic to the public side (to your ISP/cable modem/the internet, etc).  It takes that single connection your cable modem allows, but trees it off to as many other devices as you like.  This is the simple solution.

The posts prior to this one are years old, but still, is relevant, and of interest to many people today.  More ISPs are giving their cutomers cable/dsl modems that are also gateway routers, and as such have a small swtich built in, giving 4 or 5 devices direct access by plugging directly into the cable/dsl modem.  Some even are equipmed with wireless AP's as well (AT&T U-Verse gives you a 2-wire brand device that does everything, all in one device).  Still, there are cable modems out there still that only give you one (and a public one at that) IP... and you will, in fact, need to use a gateway router.  My previous cable modem assigned multiple IP's but only had one port.  I plugged that port into a switch, an AP into the switch, a server into the switch, and a PC and HD-DVD and bluray device into the switch... and all were just as happy as peas in a pod.

FredZ

MrSato wrote:

Terminolgy:

Router - routes IP packets (data).

AP - connects wireless devices to the physical network

I guess you missed the very import terminology (in your words) you have written about..

Modem.

This device is used as a media converter (Ethernet to DSL/Cable).

To clarify.

Router:

Allows the routing of IP over multiple different networks.

AP:

Allows the routing of IP over a single network.

Note: You can get routers that do have modems build in.

A modem is NOT a router or it would be called a router or router with modem.

Regards

Fred