Thjan

WRT54GL + WAP54G does not work

Hello Forum,

I have a problem expanding the WLAN of the WRT54GL with a WAP54G. 

As soon as a client gets into the influence sphere of the WAP54G the client has a somewhat broken connection. It is still connected to the correct WLAN, but without internet access or access to the router. I can't even ping the router then. No matter if I set up the WAP54G as Repeater or Access Point (to do a WLAN with roaming), as long as I protect the WLAN with WPA-PSK authentification this problem exists.

When I disable the password protection everything works perfectly fine! Unfortunately, running the WLAN without a password protection is not an option in this case. Setting the password to something simple with letters only doesn't help.

I already updated the router and the access point to the newest firmware.

Does anyone know a solution for this problem or has some ideas I could try?

Thanks in advance!

brickmonkey

Re: WRT54GL + WAP54G does not work

When set to "AP Client" and "Wireless Bridge" mode, this device will only communicate with another Linksys Access Point (WAP54G). When set to "Wireless Repeater" mode, this device will only communicate with another Linksys Access Point (WAP54G) and Linksys Wireless-G Router (WRT54G)
Thjan

This is neither an answer to my question nor do you seem to understand the problem :smileysad:

I never used it as Wireless Bridge or AP Client, I really don't know where have seen this in my original post?

Also, the Repeater mode works *perfectly* fine when no WLAN password is set, as stated in my original post already.

FredZ

Install firmware version 3.04.03 on the WAP54G, this will ensure that WPA is functional in Repeater/Bridge modes.

Regards

Fred

Thjan

Can I do this even when the WAP54G is Version 3.1?
FredZ

To clarify:

The hardware version is not the firmware version.

IE. You have various levels of harware configuration with the apropriate software (what we call firmware) to make that hardware work properly.

WAP54G v3.1 is the hardware version, and as such you can get various versions of firmware to suit that hardware version.

Regards

Fred

Thjan

I'm aware of that FredZ,

but the last time I checked (a few days ago) the website didn't offer me the firmware version you linked for my hardware version of the WAP54G. That's why I asked :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Stefan

FredZ

I have just checked the USA sites, and whilst they do not specifically list the WAP54G V3.1 you would select the V3.0 (or V3.x as we would call it)

For the WAP54G V3 the latest version listed on the USA site is currently 3.04.03 or you could have just clicked on the direct link I provided.

If the site you are using doesn't list this, please let me know and I will see if I can have that rectified. I was aware that almost all linksys sites were different prior to cisco taking it all over and some sites may still be outdated.

Regards

Fred