Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
gamerunknown

What exactly does a Wireless Access Point do?

I bought one (for £50 ;_:smileywink:, mistaking it for a router, and tried setting it up as such... I was a little unsure that it was a router to start with, but since it was the only product I could afford in the shop, I decided that I may as well try to make it work anyway. After a month of trying to use it as a router, I came to this board, where a user informed me it wasn't actually a router. Embarrassed, I left, and decided that I must return it to the shop from where it came. After eventually collecting assorted components (a week later) I managed to take it to PC World (blargh). They informed me, despite having the receipt and everything the equipment came with, they couldn't arrange a refund or exchange, even though I was willing to buy a £70 router from the store (they would have made a profit of £20...). This was after they happily exchanged a wireless card (Belkin) for a wireless USB.

I decided I had a few choices after being embarrassed yet again... I could sell the equipment for a heavy loss on eBay, or gumtree if I'm feeling generous, I could try and get a reference number from Linksys informing the PC World (yuck) guys that they should take the equipment, as they recommended, I could try using the WAP to give me the internet, or I could just mope and try to get people to avoid PC World.

I've decided that I may as well try figuring out exactly what a WAP is, in my n00biness. Can you guys help me?

Re: What exactly does a Wireless Access Point do?

Hi gamerunknown!

The access point basically is a device that would give out or transmit wireless signal to your network. The wireless card in turn will act as a receiver or the wireless signal. The Wireless Access Point  plainly doesn't have the ability to give out an IP address to your computer or to wireless devices. So it needs a router to connect it with.

The example setup would be: Internet====>modem==> router===> access point ===> PCs

another setup is: internet===>modem/router device===> access point ===>PCs

another set up is: internet==>modem===>router with access point ====> PCs

In some cases we have modem that is actually also a router,  we have router that is also an access point.

So it really depends on the device that you bought.

gamerunknown

I thought you would need it in conjunction with a Router, thanks for clarifying =(...

I'm kinda stuck now, as I've lost the installation disk, and now I can't sell it on eBay.

My neighbours are getting a router in a week or two, and say they're happy to use an unencrypted signal, so I can use it too...

But I wanted my own router =\. I'm not willing to spend another £70 on top of the WAP54G though.

Another thing I was wondering: Can't a router send it's own signal?

Yes, if a router has a wireless feature in it.

So if you decide to buy a wireless router, you can still use the WAP54g u have there as a wireless repeater to your network so you can have more wireless signal.:smileywink:
dervari

An access point is used to allow wireless clients to access a regular wired network.  You plug the access point into a switch or network jack, wireless devices connect to it and it bridges them to the wired LAN.

wireless AP can be used in many ways.

1. as an access point - transmits wireless signal. This mode allows wireless client to connect to the access point and routes traffic between the wireless and wired interface. Use this mode to create a standard wireless Infrastructure network
2. access point client - recieves signal. making it like a wireless adapter. This mode allows this device to act as a wireless client. You can enter the MAC address of the Access Point or use the Site Survey button to select the Access Point you want to connect.
3. Wireless repeater - retransmits wireless signal. making more like a range expander but somehow different. This mode will turn the access point into a wireless repeater. Enter the wireless MAC address of the access point whose signal you would like to repeat.
4. Wireless Bridge - bridges wired and wireless network. This mode will turn the access point into a wireless bridge. Wireless clients will not be able to connect to the access point in this mode. Enter the wireless MAC address of the wireless access points that you would like to bridge together.
it is EVIL enough for GOOD men do NOTHING.
Matt_aj

If you lost the install disk, don't worry.  That CD is crap anyways.  Always use the web access to configure network equipment.   You can still sell it anyways.   I recently set up an older AP and it didn't have the disk with it.  I didn't have any problems.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hi all, few questions.
Wap54g Access point when in "repeater mode" or as an access point will I incounter slower web access time thru the wireless input! of the wap54g? I was reading some info about the linksys Range Expander wre54g and it stated a 50% less speed when repeating.....
This is what I would like to do. I now have a WRT54G wired in the basement working well. Upstairs I want the signal a little hotter. I am only using 3 ports on the WRT54g, is it possible to use the # 4 port on the WRT54g to wire upstairs to a Wap54g Access point to get the signal much hotter in the upper level. If so, will I be using the same wireless channel on both units? And we are using WEP.
I rather just run one wire upstairs to keep the speed the same?
Are we thinking right here.

Thanks for all your help.
gamerunknown

Aaah, there's a problem with the USB ports on my laptop. My Wireless Access USB isn't recognised, and my USB memory stick just broke in two on touch, because of the way it was inserted. I think the problem was caused by a dented USB memory stick that I tried opening a sharpener with, so I could get the blade so my friend could make stencils for graffiti. Sorry, but I felt compelled to explain it fully >_>

On topic: Can I use my WAP to get a signal from my new, £60 and essentially useless router? >_>

If I can connect it to my laptop, but must take further steps than that, can you explain to me exactly how to receive a connection, as if I was an idiot? (Not that' I'm not an idiot <_<).

Even a technical explanation would be appreciated.
Iggy

If you wanted to go fully wireless you could try want I've been battling to get in place. Other people have had no problems getting it setup though.

Just another option to consider if your not wanting to run cable.