davidsf

wireless router vs. access point

Hi,

Can I use my WRT54G wireless router as a wireless access point? Is there any reason why I would want to instead buy a wireless access point?

thanks,
David
Ikester

Re: wireless router vs. access point

Your WRT54G is a router/switch/access point combined into one.  So to answer your question Yes your router is also a access point.  If the routers wireless range is not enough for your network area then you can add a WAP54G access point in repeater mode to extend your network range.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
davidsf

Hi,

If range is an issue, what's the reason for getting the WAP54G instead of a WRE54G repeater?

thanks,
David

Ikester

Either one will work but the WAP54G and the WRT54G router were made for one another I think.  They are the one of the most common router/AP around.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
Expert
Expert

A WRT is a router with a wireless access point. This access point only operates in "root mode" which means clients can connect wireless to the access point in the WRT but the WRT is not able to connect wireless to other access points. The upstream link on the WRT always goes through the internet port.

The WAP is a versatile wireless access point. It can operate as standard base wireless access point like the WRT. But it can also operate in a wireless distribution system (WDS) as repeater or wireless bridge. This means the WAP is able to connect wireless to another access point and bridges the wireless signal to its ethernet port or repeats the signals for other wireless clients.

The WRE is a dedicated repeater. Nothing else.

The WET is a dedicated wireless bridge. It connects wired computers wireless to an existing wireless network. Nothing else.

Thus, the question whether to get a WRE or WAP is what you need at the moment and what you think you'll need in the future. Let's say you need a repeater to extend the wireless coverage. You'll get a WRE for that. After a while you realize that the repeater deteriorates the performance of your wireless LAN too much and the throughput through the repeater is too low. Thus you put in a ethernet cable to bridge the distance instead of the wireless link. The WRE is now obsolete. If you have got a WAP you would simply connect the WAP to the ethernet cable and reconfigure it as normal wireless access point to create a single roaming network...
kenji

[ Edited ]
the wre can repeat the signal but tends to cut in half your thruput speed.
the wap on the other hand repeats the signal while maintaning almost the same speed as from the main device.

also, wap has more transmit power over the wre.

Message Edited by kenji on 08-11-2007 09:37 AM