mddm

Antenna Removal?

Anyone ever take off one of their antenna's? I'm wanting to take one of mine off so I can hook up a pringle can antenna, but I got it mounted so bloody tight on the wall it's nearly impossible to get it off because it's hard to access (guess it'll never fall off huh?).

Just wanting to know what the easiest way to remove it is - turn it off, pull it off, don’t even bother…?

I want to see the connector type so I can get the right connector for my pringle can antenna. Supposedly, I can achieve an 11Mpbs link up to 5 - 7Km or so…We'll see about that…Seen a guy with one and he showed me the reception with it on and off and it was quite impressive so I'm thinking it must be achievable…Would like to shoot a wireless signal down the road to my inlaws to give them free wireless (they are on dial-up…*shiver*).

Thanks!
MD
CompTIA A+, Network+, Linux+
mddm

Re: Antenna Removal?

I guess I should identify the model eh? It's a WRT54GX4 (did I get that right?).

md
Carrot

i don't think that the mentioned router has removable antennas ..
lisa5010

[ Edited ]
I have a WRT54G router and want to add the High gain antennas (HGA7T). How do the antennas come off the WRT54G router?? Doesn't seem like they will screw off.

EDIT: I do not know which version I have, and now suspect I have one that DOESN'T have removeable antennas. Getting rather annoyed with this, since the TNC package does NOT say "won't work with some versions."

Message Edited by lisa5010 on 07-02-2007 12:10 PM
spbull472

Lisa, you're right it doesn't specify that it won't work with specific versions.  But if you have a router that's serial number starts with CDFF or CDFG then you have a version 8 router.  The antenna improperly states that it works with the WRT54G, while its true for most versions..it's not for version 8.
Mike_NZ

Lisa, The aerials do screw off. You need to grab the plastic sleeve where it meets the case and gently turn the sleeve, this should eventually unscrew, bear in mind the socket has quite a fine thread on it.
LarboNJ

The high gain antennas work great, another item you may want is the antenna stand (model  AS2TNC) I use both here.
randob1

If you have a WRT54G V8 they are permanently attached and will likely break if you try to unscrew them.
Rastaban

Ugh. I just bought the WRT54G V8 last night along with these hi gain antennas and the antenna stand. The antennas do not unscrew from the back of the router and unfortunately one of my antennas did break off my router when I tried to take the antenna off. $50 for the router down the drain. This is so ridiculous and frustrating. The package said it was compatible and it said it was easy PLUS there are such lame directions. Sigh.

I connected to chat support and the guy hung up on me. Then I called tech support and she was nice but acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. V8 is compatible... that's all they can repeat while treating the customer as though they can't unscrew a simple device to save their lives.

This is wrong, just wrong. :smileysad:
Sal de Terre

This may be a correct answer, but to term it a "solution" overstates the case when, in fact, Linksys has apparently disabled their customers from using the WRT54G with an external antenna. Of course, this was not the case with the original Linksys WRT54G, which was a simple screw thread to add an external antenna.

A better solution and a more transparent way of doing business would be to give this new and lesser wireless router the new model number it so richly deserves. Something that would make it plain to unsuspecting customers that the router they were purchasing is not the router previously sold as a WRT54G.