Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
saint
Accepted Solution

AM200 DSL MODEM INSTALLATION TROUBLE

I'd very much appreciate if anyone had any suggestions for my problem.

I've just bought LinkSys' AM200 ADSL Modem and I've been having trouble with the product's setup and installation on my computer.

My system's specifications are the following:
Intel Pentium 4
/ 3 GHz (865 i),
Motherboard: ASUS P4P800,
512 ΜΒ RAM (2 Χ 256 ΜΒ DDR SDRAM 400-KINGSTON),
2 X Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 (300 GB each),
GeForce FX5200 128MB,
LITE-ON DVD RW LDW-851S
running under Microsoft Windows XP Professional v. 2002. Service Pack 2
and using Norton Internet Security 2009 for virus protection at the time the problem occured.

I have connected the modem to the phone cable and to my PC, seemingly succesfully, as the Power, DSL and Ethernet LEDs on the modem's front panel are lit and stable. However, there seems to be a problem installing the device, when running the setup wizard.To be more specific,when the setup wizard is checking whether the modem is connected and right after the status bar that appears while checking reaches 100% a message box pops up, carrying the following message:
"Wait timeout.Please check connection and try again"

I have contacted my ISP and they have confirmed that there is no problem with my DSL connection on their part.
Please note that I've also tried to configure the modem manually, following the steps provided in the manual but my browser fails to connect to http://192.168.1.1 as specified in the directions within the installation guide.

I would be more than grateful if anyone could provide any insights on the matter.

Thank you in advance!

binky

Re: AM200 DSL MODEM INSTALLATION TROUBLE

Did you got any Username and Password from you ISP or did u got any Static IP from your ISP ?

saint

I did but nothing happens. Even when manually setting up a DSL connection using the data provided by my ISP, the AM200 setup wizard still can't configure the modem and pops up the "wait timeout" message box.

The funny thing is that I tried connecting via PSTN using an old prepaid account, and received a "720" problem message (I'm using XP professional) after the verification of the account's validity and while registering the computer on the Net. And when I run ipconfig in the DOS command line, no data whatsoever appeared. Could this be virus related? (I run Norton Internet Security 2009, Spybot and Adaware in Sefe Mode, but found no infections whatsoever).  

davetchang

Try deactivating Norton Internet Security 2009 all together and see if you get the modem to connect. If you're able to connect the modem when Norton is deactivated, then you'll know that you will have to check the firewall settings in Norton.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards

Dave

saint

Thank you so much Dave! That did the trick! It was NIS 2009 messing up with my connection all along (which is pretty weird,cause for the first month or so it all worked just fine).

I seriously hadn't thought of checking firewall settings (which I guess may sound pretty idiotic of me),but that was all that was needed.

I really appreciate all of your help guys,taking time to post an answer to my problem, and I'm truly grateful.

Thank you again! My warmest regards!