Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
diwan
Accepted Solution

Advance Setting

I have Router  WAG160N. 

In the option Wireless Mac Filter, I have Enabled the Filter and through the button Wireless Client List I got my Laptop Mac Address and added it to the address.

In Access and Restriction I have marked Permit Computers Listed below access to the wireless network.

Now please let me know that after this option is enabled. The other computers which I have not added in the MAC Address, They will get the Internet access or not?

anfjavid

Re: Advance Setting

[ Edited ]

When MAC filtering is enabled , the computers which are not brought under the list cant access the router.... Once this option is enabled the client's mac address has to be entered in the list which alone can get access....

diwan

Thanks

I am satisfied.

Expert
Expert

Of course, the MAC address of a computer is easily changed and the MAC addresses are always transferred unencrypted which means they are easily picked up by a wireless sniffer making the wireless MAC address filter list unsuitable as a means of wireless security.
BAWilcox

I added my wireless client list to the allow MAC address filter and all my networked devices still work but now I cannot access my advanced settings on for my X2000 modem/router.  How do I fix this? 

Expert
Expert

Disable the MAC address filter. It's useless. Use real security. Use WPA2 and AES and a strong passphrase.
hillary681

wireless mac filter can either PERMIT or PREVENT the clients, wired or wireless, access to the network.

in you case, the filter might be set to PERMIT.

on which PC can you not access the advanced settings?

as suggested, it would probably be best to secure your wireless networkk using WPA2 personal with AES encryption.

BAWilcox

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I only wanted to allow specific devices on to my network.  By setting the allow only option for MAC Address filtering, it appeared that I lost access to my advanced configuration pages.  They eventually showed up, but it seemed to take a REALLY long time (~30 mins.).  Not ideal, but it now works.