Dasher

BEFCMU10 goes off line then back on

I have a BEFCMU10 v1 that has been misbehaving recently. It will go off line losing contact with the router and the Internet. It will stay off line for 8 to 10 minutes and then comeback on its own. If I cycle the power it will come up pretty quickly. Here is a log of a recent episode without power interruption.; http://www.rhythmicmom.com/docs/cable-modem-web-page4.pdf Anyone seen this behavior? Is there a solution or is it time for a new modem?
helm

Re: BEFCMU10 goes off line then back on

try upgrading the firmware of the modem...the firmware of these modems is with the ISP ..
Dasher

I called Comcast and they said they can only do that with company owned modems.... I picked up a rental unit today to try.. It does the same thing. So the problem must be between the ISP and this location. So after Thanksgiving I will have them come out and fix what ever is wrong. Does not appear to be the modem, but a signal problem. The rental unit is an RCA modem, but the error reported is the same as from my Linksys.
shieber

The Firmware is loaded by the isp. It determines DOCSIS level, among other things. So not only can the cable company upload the firmware for non-cable-comnpnay modems, but it has to to be able to operate with the modem. You can't load in firmware yourself--the ISP decides what firmware, what version it loads, whether a standard or one or a customized version.
Dasher

While it is quite possible for them to load firmware. The fact is they don't unless it is there unit. The don't want the liability if the upgrade fails. The problem turned out to be a node of Comcasts it works fine now. I wound up with four different modem over a two week span. Linksys v1, RCA, Motorola, and finally a Linksys v4 all had he problem, until the node was repaired.
shieber

The person you spoke to did not understand how the operation works. They have no choice but to load the firmware. For the modem to work on their system, they have to load it with the specific firmware that their system requires. It's not a matter a choice. If you were somehow able to install something diff, then when you booted up the modem, the firmware would be automatically replaced with what their system requires. And their system currently requires a realtively old but speciallized version of the the firmware.
JITU

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM--ON AND OFF ONCE EVERY WEEK
shieber

Have the cable company come out and test the signal strength; they might need to pull a new line from the street to your house.
JITU

THANKYOU
leroyj7232

Hoe do you upgrade the firmware? Is it fail safe?