Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lloydbrunt

Bridging AM200

I have read the user forums and see that lots of people have problems bridging the AM200. Has anyone solved this?

I have a PPPoA connection and can only get the AM200 to work with my ASUS router if I use 2 subnets. 192.168.1.x for the ASUS and 10.0.0.1 for the Linksys.

It would be more elegant (ie less NAT and redirection to configure) if the modem was bridged to the ASUS subnet. I see half bridged is also an option but I have no idea what this is ( the Linksys manual is hopeless!)

Has anyone managed to configure the AM200 this way? And can someone provide a summary of setting, IP addresses etc?
silver_swan

Re: Bridging AM200

Do you have an option to connect to PPPoA server thru your ASUS router?  If you have, you may set the AM200 to Bridge Mode only.  The authentication will be done on the ASUS router.  If you will disable the DHCP capability of the device, the AM200 will only act as a passthru device if it is set to bridge mode. 
lloydbrunt

Thanks for your reply. My Asus router has what it calls PPTP which I think is the same thing. Why are user manuals so badly written?

Since posting I have managed to get "half bridge" working just by trial and error and rebooting a million times! Again why are ...

I will give your method a try but I have no idea about the relative merits of bridging or half bridging.

Thanks again for your help.
silver_swan

if your ASUS router has that option then it should work
lloydbrunt

It seems that PPTP (point to point tunnelling protocol) is not the same as PPPoA (point to point protocol over ATM) so I have left it set with half bridging. It seems to work fine but a few examples of connections in the product manual would have saved a lot of my time.

Thanks again.
silver_swan

yup pptp is different from pppoa....:smileyhappy: