Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
samuraisam

CM100 not finding signal

Hi,

I had a surfboard 4200 (motorola) and it worked fine for quite a few years but the speed would drop down for some reason every now and then (majory, from 250 KB/s to 50 KB/s). I bought a CM100 linksys but when I plug it all in it never finds the signal, the motorola still connects fine. I had the ISP delete my modem profile but it still wont connect, it wont even find the signal.

Any ideas?

torqued

Re: CM100 not finding signal

What do you mean by it wont find a signal? 

Did you contact the ISP and give them the MAC of the new modem?

samuraisam

Well they claimed to have deleted my modem profile and that I'd just need to connect the new modem and all would work; do I have to give them the MAC address?

Even if they haven't taken the mac address, shouldn't the modem at least find the signal?, it just keeps on scanning repeatedly.

peanuts

Are you using some software to configure the device?
torqued

"do I have to give them the MAC address? "

Often, unless the first time you hook up your computer you end up directed to a website which automates the process.

"it just keeps on scanning repeatedly."

Do you mean the lights keep cycling or are you using a web browser to look at the modem's status page?

samuraisam

No, A cd was included with the device, not sure what it includes on it though, i'll check. Is there some other software I can use to configure it?
samuraisam

I called the ISP (etisalat, I live in the UAE, not the US as my account says) and they "deleted [my] modem profile" and I plugged in the new modem and nothing happened, still didn't connect after about 20 minutes, so I connected the old one and it was directed to a configuration page from the ISP (you only need to log in and press register and it does everything else). 

Yeah I'm using the 192.168.100.1 page and I can see it just cycles through the frequencies forever and doesn't lock on anything (such as the frequency that the older modem uses)

torqued

Is the CM100 a US model or a European model?
samuraisam

Probably a US model (ordered from BHPHOTO as newegg doesn't deliver internationally), the power adapter with it supports 110-240 though, so wouldn't it be international?

I recall on my motorola a setting to change between europe/us/japan, but the modem seemed to work anyway whatever it was set on (from memory)

densnet

samuraisam

Call your ISP, and give them your new MAC address, and possibly serial number. I was switching between modems, for a period, and a simple call set me up each time. Have the tech tell you if they find you before you hang up. YOU have to do nothing except power up the modem. In fact don't even have the computer on. Until you get a solid indication of "ONLINE" they haven't done their job. The fact that the "OLD"  one still connects tells me that the Tech is full of crap! I am a newbie to this forum, but have been surfing since before Al Gore!

Den densnet.com