bagbyte

Configuring WAG120N like Access Point

Hi,

i have a router to connect on Internet, i need it because it let me use VOIP.

I want to use WAG120N like Access Point Wireless because my VOIP router is not wireless.

How i have to configure it?

What kind of incapsulation i have to use?

VOIP router IP: 192.168.1.1

If is it possible (and if it is useful) i would to configure WAG120N with 2 IP,

first one: 192.168.1.101 (to communicate with VOIP router and to let me go on internet)

second one: 192.168.0.1 (to let me have control on it's configuration)

My devices will connect to 192.168.0.0 network

Is it possible?

How?

Thank you

Expert
Expert

Re: Configuring WAG120N like Access Point

No. If the WAG is not used as your internet gateway you can only use one IP address. On the web interface of the WAG change the LAN IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 and turn off the DHCP server. Then wire one of the numbered LAN ports to your main router. Now you can use the WAG as wireless access point for your wireless devices. You can also use the additional 3 ethernet ports on the WAG to connect wired devices.
bagbyte

I read that a new firmware permit to use the first ethernet port like WAN, what does it means?

Can i use this feature to assign to my router 2 IPs?

thank you

Expert
Expert

Probably. If an ethernet port can be configured as WAN port you have two interfaces and can have two IP addresses. However, in your case there is no real benefit doing so. You would chain two routers which has no advantages for you and may cause stability issues.
crackinchris

On your WAG120, goto Router Config Pages

Setup > Basic Setup

Change Encapsulation: Bridged Mode Only

Set Local IP Address of WAG120 to something other than your Non-wired Modem/Router and also not within your DHCP range.

Set the DHCP Server to "DHCP Relay" and input the Relay DHCP Server (typically your wired modem/router).

Please ensure that your non-wired modem has DHCP server setup

Save the settings, you're done!

Expert
Expert

Encapsulation mode does not play a role here. It is only relevant if the WAG120N is connected through the DSL port to the telephone line. The WAG needs to be connected through an ethernet port in this case. Which "Non-wired Modem/Router"? There is only one other router and it's a wired. Do not use the DHCP relay function! The DHCP server is connected to the LAN directly. Relaying it in the LAN itself will only create problems at best because the DHCP server receives the original DHCP requests as well as the relayed through the DHCP relay function.
bagbyte

There is some way to manage or aumentate the power of the antenna / range?

My home is not so big but the signal power is low between 2 rooms..... :smileysad: i cannot navigate, the connection always go down

oook

[ Edited ]

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the other replies.

zellelbien

Hi,

I'm going to buy two linksys WAG120N and i wanted to know if i can use them as TWO acces points. I mean, is it possible to connect them to each other (through an ethernet cable cat5 or cat6) and then connect one of them to my internet router (internet source) with an Ethernet cable too.

Expert
Expert

Yes. Same setup as above. Just make sure the LAN IP address on each WAG is set to a free IP address in your LAN.