Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
terabytest
Accepted Solution

Configuring devices on the same subnet to have a static IP

Hello. First of all, I'm new here, so hi to everyone. I'm pretty much a newbie about everything concerning routers and I'd like to get an answer on a problem that's been fussing me for a while.

I have a Linksys WAG120N Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router. The firmware version is V1.00.12.

I run a Windows machine attached to the router which has a certain subnetwork address. On that same machine I run a Virtual Machine with Linux which has its own address, 192.168.1.102. 

I've been noticing that whenever I shut down either machine and then turn them back on later, they acquire another address, which makes it annoying for me to make them communicate between each other (by, for example, trying to load a webpage hosted on the VM from the physical machine) without knowing the actual address, which, as I said earler, seems to change every time.

I'd like to know if there's a way (with my router model) to configure it so that the subnetwork address of both machines remains the same, no matter whether or not they've been shut down and restarted. 

Is that possible? If yes, could you please tell me where to find this option in the config panel?

lordstag

Re: Configuring devices on the same subnet to have a static IP

Easiest way to do it is on the machines themselves. Go to your network connection, right click and go to properties, then tcp/ip properties and configure it with a static address rather than getting one from your router.

So it would be 192.168.1.x with subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway and dns server would be your router. I'm assuming 192.168.1.1

terabytest

[ Edited ]

I hit a roadblock while trying to configure my Windows machine to use the ip address 192.168.1.99 (dynamic addresses start from .100). After putting in the correct settings (including subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.1) and applying them, I lost connectivity to the internet and Windows, as a solution to the problem, suggested that I re-enabled DHCP, which effectively solved the connectivity problem but gave me back the 192.168.1.101 IP.

DHCP seems to be enabled on the router as well. Do I have to reboot for the changes to take place?

EDIT: rebooting does not fix the problem.

Expert
Expert

Did you set the DNS server? You have to configure at least one DNS server. Configure 192.168.1.1 as DNS server on your computer.

Otherwise, with DHCP enabled, open a command prompt window and enter "ipconfig /all". Copy the full output into your next post.

Then configure the static IP address, check if you have internet, if not, run "ipconfig /all" again and also post the full output. That should show the problem.
terabytest

Thank you. Setting the DNS server did it.