rommeldtan
Accepted Solution

Disable SSID broadcast and Enable MAC address filtering on WAG320N

When disabling SSID broadcast and enabling MAC address filtering on WAG320N, my other wireless laptop get disconnected.  And when you try to connect, it doesn't connect again.

Expert
Expert

Re: Disable SSID broadcast and Enable MAC address filtering on WAG320N

Probably you have entered the incorrect MAC address into the filter list.

Simple solution: don't disable the SSID broadcast and don't use the wireless MAC filter. They are both totally useless in regard to security and only cause problems for you both noone else.

Use real security, i.e. WPA2 Personal with AES encryption and a strong passphrase. That's secure and you can use the full 802.11n speed.
rommeldtan

That's very reason why I bought this expensive gadget to be able to secure my wireless network, and hide it from intruders.  Any other suggestions to make this feature working?

Expert
Expert

You can't hide it from intruders.

The router always sends out the beacon. The router is immediately detected.

The SSID is always transferred unencrypted. It's always sent during association. It's easy to force a re-associaton. If there is a single wireless device connected to the access point it takes about a second to learn the SSID.

Disabling the SSID requires your wireless devices to actively search for the network. This means your laptop will always try to connect to your SSID as long as it is not connected to another network. As sending requires much more power then passively listening this drains your batteries.

And, actually, if you are at an internet cafe anyone can learn your SSID in the time from where you switch on the wireless to the moment in which you associate with the internet cafe network.

Plus it causes numerous problems with various wireless cards, like instabilities or similar.

The MAC filter is even more useless as the MAC address is always part of any wireless transmission and it's always unencrypted. It's extremely easy to pick up the allowed MAC addresses and it's extremely easy to modify the MAC address of a wireless card.

Again: use real security and forget about this pseudo security functions.

What you are trying to do is a waste of time. Of your time. It won't slow down any intruder.

See also

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/IPad-wi-fi-MAC-address-quot-Not-a-MAC-address-quo...
http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Is-my-router-effectively-secured/m-p/333945#M1752...