Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
McPhib

How do I secure my wireless router?

I have a WAG54G and have forgotten how to secure it to prevent third parties gaining internet access via my router.. I attempted to put the 192.168.1.1 into the browser bar and connect that way, to alter the details, but was presented with an account and password box I did not have the information for.

At least two people are gaining access via my router, and I want it to stop.. HELP please.
FredWP

Re: How do I secure my wireless router?

There are really many ways with a Linksys router. Linksys has put nice guides online to protect your router.

Besides from that, I'll give you some advise, however I'm not going to guide you step-by-step to perform these, you can do this by exploring all the settings of your router, and getting to know them well, I recommend this for any who administrates a home router.

To protect your router itself (web control panel access):

- Do not permit wireless connections to the web control panel.
- Configure a custom username and password for the web control panel.

As for protecting your wireless network (as your thread title is a bit unclear about what you mean by securing):

- Enable wireless protection (WEP/WPA/etc...).
- Enable MAC filtering to disallow certain clients or to permit certain clients only.
- Put in a difficult to guess SSID name, and do not broadcast it.

I hope it helps.
cowcowcow

Hi, i have a similar problem. I have a WRT54G and accidently pressed the "one time set up" button and my network changed from secured to insecured. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it secured again.

I saw the link u provided, and all solutions i came across talk about this "Wireless tab" When i go to 192.168.1.1 setup page, i CANNOT see the wireless TAB!! Its just not there... But all the other tabs -Admin, Setup,Games and applications, status are there. How do i enable this wireless tab?

Please advise

Thank you in advance :smileyhappy:
FredWP

Your router must of course be a wireless router (and not wired only).

If that is so, it should definitely be there, here you can see it on my router (WAG300N):

narugirl

I need help securing my wireless router that someone use to download movies illegally, and now I received a notice of infringement from my internet company. Pleas help!

Administrator
24JUAN80

You may want to read about How to Secure your Network here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Search Function is your friend.... and Google too.

How to Secure your Network
How to Upgrade Routers Firmware
Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service
Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service
How to Hard Reset or 30/30/30 your Router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
babyface

hey My name is doni and i am trying to get my wusb54gsc ver.2 working on my desktop and i dont have the cd-rom. how can i get the software for it

frankmeleca

kawal

I'd say use MAC filtering and disable the SSID broadcast. i also suggest of course changing the router admin password and change the LAN IP to something random like 10.53.67.1 instead of the usual 192.168.x.x IP.

linman329

Re: How do I secure my wireless router from my neighbor who is accessing it??