ctoth

How to determine version number of BEFCMU10

I'm looking to buy a modem off ebay and the guy can't find the version #

Seeing how I've never seen a BEFCMU10, I assumed it was after the model # on the back, but the seller says he can't find it.

Can you help?
lphoong

Re: How to determine version number of BEFCMU10

It would say it right after BEFCMU10
loozer

There's a sticker on the bottom of the device that has the model & version number on it.

mazilo

loozer wrote:
There's a sticker on the bottom of the device that has the model & version number on it.

If you are in a store trying to purchase a unit of this cable modem, how can you tell the version of the modem which is still sealled and packaged inside its cardboard container? Can you identify the version through its MAC address as in any of the Linksys WRT54G/S routers?
Mazi
UK non-geo phone: +44 703 194 2574
shieber

IF no version number shows onthe bottom, it's Version 1.0. After that they started marking the version numbers.
gregx

The sticker on my case says 'ver 3' but the status page shows 'Hardware Version v1.0' how do I resove this to figure out which version I have.  I purchased it used so anything is possible.
torqued

You probably have a version 3 but were pushed version 1 firmware.  Contact your ISP and ask them to push version 3 firmware to you.  The first level tech may not understand how to do this, so be patient, yet firm.
gregx

Thanks.... I was waiting to have my ISP activate it until I was sure what version it was, but I will go ahead and try to get the firmware upgrade.

Greg

Bitgod

torqued wrote:
You probably have a version 3 but were pushed version 1 firmware.  Contact your ISP and ask them to push version 3 firmware to you.  The first level tech may not understand how to do this, so be patient, yet firm.

I don't get why ISPs would be handling modem firmware other than for modems they themselves give out.  So this is why they have a list of working modems for them, because they have firmware that they support and push out?  If there's info somewhere on this that explains it, I'd be interested to read it.

Sounds like I had the same issue, I have a V3 HW and the menu says V1.  Maybe that's the real reason I'm seeing a speed boost now that I just hooked up a CM100.

torqued

ISPs control the firmware of the modems because that is the device which interfaces to their network.  They need to be able to make sure that everyone has the same patches, upgrades, etc. to be interoperable.  It is primarily a standards thing.  Unfortunately they seem to frequently botch things and fail to comprehend that.