Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
s427

Linksys WAG320N - Wifi network stopped being visible (and usable)

Basically, my wifi network simply stopped working for no apparent reason. It doesn't appear in the list of the available networks anymore. I can see all my neighbors' networks, but not mine. It's as if it doesn't exist anymore. The internet connection (non-wifi), which goes through the same modem/router, is fine though.

I already had a similar problem about one year ago, just after buying this very modem. I finally got it to work after performing two factory resets and getting rid of the "Cisco Network Magic" software; but this time it's not working.

My WAG320N is directly connected (via cable) to my desktop computer (Windows 7). I have (mainly) two devices that use the wifi network: my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) and an Asus tablet (TF201, aka Transformer Prime). I also resurrected an old laptop computer (Dell, running Windows XP) to test the visibility of the network, and it doesn't see anything either (apart from the 20 other wifi networks, of course ^^).

This wifi network was working just fine and has been for about a year. I haven't touched the modem settings so I have no idea what's causing the problem. The wifi LED on the device is on (green).

I tried:

• making my phone "forget" about my network, hoping it would see it again after that: no luck.
  • re-entering the network informations (SSID/password) manually on my phone: still no luck (says it's not in range)
  • exporting the modem configuration, resetting the modem (factory reset, via modem admin), restarting it, importing the configuration: nope.
  • factory reset, turning it off for 15 minutes, restarting, re-factory reset, and entering the configuration manually: still nothing.

Have you any suggestion to fix that?

Thanks in advance.

PS: to clear things up, here are the settings of my modem regarding wifi:

Basic wireless settings:

Configuration: manual
Radio Band: 2.4GHz Wireless
Network Mode: B/G/N-Mixed
SSID: s427
Channel Bandwidth: Wide - 40 MHz Channel
Wide Channel: 9 - 2.452GHz
Standard Channel: 11 - 2.462GHz
SSID Broadcast: Enable

Wireless Security:

Security Mode: WPA2-Mixed
Encryption: TKIP or AES
Key Renewal: 3600

Wireless MAC Filter: Disable

Advanced Wireless Settings

AP Isolation: Disable
Authentication Type: Auto
Basic Rate: Default
Transmission Rate: Auto
N Transmission Rate: Auto
CTS Protection Mode: Disable

Beacon Interval: 100
DTIM Interval: 1
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
RTS Threshold: 2346

jaymay

Re: Linksys WAG320N - Wifi network stopped being visible (and usable)

I agree that the problem is not with your wireless devices since just like what you said, both of them can see your neighbor's network. I would suggest that you upgrade the firmware of the gateway. The latest from cisco's website is Ver.1.00.12 Annex A. After upgrading the firmware, do another hard reset on the gateway then reconfigure the settings again. For the wireless settings, how about you try  the following: Network Mode: G only ; channel width: standard 20mhz only ; channel: 9 ; security mode: wpa2 personal.  If the wireless network can't be detected still, try to unsecure the network and check again if your wireless devices can detect your network.

s427

Thanks for your answer.

The firmware version was already 1.00.12. However since the admin interface didn't mention "Annex A", I tried upgrading anyway, and did a factory reset after that. It apparently didn't change much (the interface still doesn't mention "Annex A" --even on the Status page) and hasn't solved the problem.

I then tried changing the wifi settings like you said. Still no luck.

Unsecuring the wifi connection (Wireless Security > Security Mode > Disable) didn't make the network visible either.

Maybe I should mention that whenever rebooting or resetting the modem, the progress bar always seem to get stuck at about 55%. Even if I wait 15 minutes, it doesn't move any more. So in the end I just refresh the page and everything seems to work (except the wifi, of course)...

ScarletJamie

s427 wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

The firmware version was already 1.00.12. However since the admin interface didn't mention "Annex A", I tried upgrading anyway, and did a factory reset after that. It apparently didn't change much (the interface still doesn't mention "Annex A" --even on the Status page) and hasn't solved the problem.

I then tried changing the wifi settings like you said. Still no luck.

Unsecuring the wifi connection (Wireless Security > Security Mode > Disable) didn't make the network visible either.

Maybe I should mention that whenever rebooting or resetting the modem, the progress bar always seem to get stuck at about 55%. Even if I wait 15 minutes, it doesn't move any more. So in the end I just refresh the page and everything seems to work (except the wifi, of course)...

I think you already exhausted all possible troubleshooting with this device but still getting the same issue. Possibly, this device is already faulty.

s427

That's what I was thinking...

It doesn't really make sense that the device would change its settings for no reason after one year.

Many thanks for your help anyway! :-)