Kukac

Linksys x3000 works with Annex B?

Hi, i have a Linksys x3000 DSL modem/router. I need to set up an Annex B DSL connection. Is it possible to chance the modem to Annex B using firmware?

dibbler

Re: Linksys x3000 works with Annex B?

What type of Internet connection you are using? As it will be difficult to change the Annex A to Annex B using firmware… AS Annex A is used for  ADSL over PSTN and Annex B is used for ADSL over ISDN...

Expert
RobinsonX7

Betreff: Linksys x3000 works with Annex B?

Hi Kukac,

It is neither softwary nor hardwary possible to change the Annex version of the Gateway.

The Annex B is on an RJ45 connection and Annex a RJ11.

It is also strongly not advised to load the F/W of Annex B onto an Annex a version.

You have to use an Annex B DSL modem and connect it to the X3000 to the RJ45 WAN port, and then you will be able to set up an Annex B DSL connection.

Regards,

RobinsonX7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Die Such Funktion ist dein Freund.... und Google auch

Cisco Knowledge Base

Linksys Home Support

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kukac

Thank you for the help.

My actual modem is using RJ11. The internet connection is an ADSL, but my provider sais it is an annex B.

Information from my internet provider : 

aDSL
aDSL 2+
VPI - Virtual path identifier
VCI - Virtual channel identifier
PPP - Point to Point Protocol
PPPoE
PPPoE
LLC - Logical Link control
LLC snap
LLC snap
Modulation
ITU, GDMT aut.
Multimode
Standard name
Annex B
Annex B

My modem is constatly overheating, so it would be great if I could make it work without the modem.

Kukac

yourawesomeness

Well, you actually need the modem since your internet connection originally comes through it (which is why your internet service provider gave it to you).. :smileyhappy:

Audere est facere
Tutsys

[ Edited ]

Dear Linksys,

When i built my home network i wanted to buy the best ADSL modem, so i searched for linksys n found AM200. I knew my ADSL provider uses Annex B so i tryed to find the Annex B version of AM200 (AM200-E1). Never an earth found it, like it never exsisted outside Linksys broschures. (Checked webshops in the whole EU, phoned linksys HQ in my country) Finally i bought another brand :smileysad:

I have just checked ur new ADSL modem+router combos n u didnt write annex compatibility at features+specs. Despite its the most important information about n ADSL modem. As far as i know there is simply no way to use Annex A on Annex B, or vice versa. Using a linksys router with ADSL modem with a crap modem that providers usually supply is really a big waste.

SO please Linksys with sugar on the top, take this annex A-B issue much more seriously.

Otherwise i like ur products :smileyhappy:

PS: I have Annex B on a RJ11 cable... 

Expert
Expert

Which country?
Tutsys

[ Edited ]

Hungary

I bought my WRT610N-EU V1 on october of 2009, n wanted to buy that ADSL modem then as well. Wanted a separate ADSL modem coz i dont like 2 in 1 stuff. 

Expert
Expert

Do you usually have Annex B in Hungary?

Germany uses Annex B exclusively, i.e. you could see if you can find a German version (-DE). That should work.

Generally, I find two separate devices, i.e. a separate modem, far better as it separates the internet access technology from my router. For instance, if your ISP upgrades to 50 Mbit/s VDSL you'll need a new modem. If you find a new ISP which does FTTH you'll need a new modem. If you have cable TV and a cheap 100 Mbit/s cable internet offer, you'll need a new modem.

I would recommend to get a modem from your ISP and use a standard ethernet router like the WRT610N on that modem. That way the ISP can finetune the modem connection to the best possible connection. If there is a problem with the ADSL line you can easily test it by directing directly to the modem. If there is a problem with the modem you can tell your ISP to fix it. With an integrated modem/router not supplied by your ISP they will usually only tell you that it's a problem with the settings on your device and they can't help you with that...

And all the while you have your ethernet router which you can take to any ISP you want...
Tutsys

[ Edited ]

Annex A-B situation in Hungary: I am not an expert in this topic just made a small research. Both A and B present in country, depends on the region. As far as i know annex A region is bigger then B. A is mostly the western part of the country, B is in the eastern, prolly south-eastern part of country. Millions of ppl live in regions where ADSL is the only real option of internet connection. (Including some urbanized places)

My ISP supplied me with modem+router combo with 54 mbit wlan. Unfortunately it didnt support WPA2, and went wrong so i got rid of it. Then wanted that AM200-E1. Finally bought a D-link DSL-321B, which works fine with WRT610N. Just dont get one thing: I have to set up ADSL connection parameters in the router, cant access the modem. (eg: login name, password, mtu) So the router uses the resources of the modem somehow?

Other thing i dont understand: Is Linksys selling both annex a and b versions of all modem/routers in the EU? (X2000/X3000 and WAG serie) In my fav hungarian webshop there is a WAG120N annex B version while on linksys site it says WAG120N supports both annex A and B. At other modem/router's features&spec there isnt even a word about annex a-b compatibility. Some other webshop sells these routers without writing if its a or b. The whole thing seems to be a big mess of me.

One more question: Does this annex a-b thingie only count in early ADSL technology? I mean in ADSL 2 and above dont see any annex a-b stuff. Does that mean above simple "ADSL" it doesnt matter? (Devices work on both enviroment)