Dibstol

PPPoE service name

I have WAG200G router and try to configure PPPoE over ADSL acces as it described in the quick installation guide on page 7. I was confused while looking where to enter PPPoE service name. Field for this exists only in illustration in guide. There is no such field on my router Setup page PPPoE setting block. What I have to do to fix the problem?

Firmware 1.00.09.
dibbler

Re: PPPoE service name

HI , if you do not have an option for the sevice name...it's ok...first confirm with your ISP if you indeen require a service name to log in...if you are able to go online without the service name....then you don;t need it.
Dibstol

ISP confirmed that it is required. I can't go online without specifing it. What to do next?
Dibstol

Are anybody from Linsys support team read this forum?
Brenda

Hi there,
as far as I know the service name is optional and from the router interface that youre looking, linksys might have removed it from that firmware. Some ISP's would give you your service name but would not require to enter it on the router during configuration.
Have you had your router going without the service name?

*MyPOV*

1. My ISP gave me service name and made clear that service name IS REQUIRED for going on-line. I tried (unsuccessfully) to go on-line without service name.

2. Linksys MUST NEVER declare WAG200G compliance with RFC 2516 if device can't work in the way RFC defined. Linksys fakes customers who relied on product specification. It must never be with such respective company as Cisco.

I going to do the next:
- Fill complaint to my local Cisco office about inability of support to do his work.
- Fill complaint to comittee of customers' rights protection about not compliance of sold product with declared specification. In such clear case as my it will result in govermental restriction on import the product into country and selling it in the internal market.
Brenda

Dibstol wrote:
1. My ISP gave me service name and made clear that service name IS REQUIRED for going on-line. I tried (unsuccessfully) to go on-line without service name.

2. Linksys MUST NEVER declare WAG200G compliance with RFC 2516 if device can't work in the way RFC defined. Linksys fakes customers who relied on product specification. It must never be with such respective company as Cisco.

I going to do the next:
- Fill complaint to my local Cisco office about inability of support to do his work.
- Fill complaint to comittee of customers' rights protection about not compliance of sold product with declared specification. In such clear case as my it will result in govermental restriction on import the product into country and selling it in the internal market.

Im sure that Linksys wouldnt release a device that cant handle RFC. Some of my friends routers worked fine with out the service name. But before doing the complaint, can you post here how youve configured your router? if you have installed the latest firmwares and so on? Just to give you some insights...

*just a thought*  :smileyhappy:

Hi Brenda.

See below my comments.

[Im sure that Linksys wouldnt release a device that cant handle RFC.]

Linksys already did it. Now let's speak how Linksys will fix this fault.

[Some of my friends routers worked fine with out the service name.]

You friends has another ISP than me. For my ISP service name is required.

[ But before doing the complaint, can you post here how youve configured your router?]

I configured the router as it described in "Quick installation guide" in section 2.2 "RFC 2516 PPPoE or RFC 2364 PPPoA". Here I found that field "Service name" is in illustration D3 in the guide and is absent in router setup web interface.

[if you have installed the latest firmwares and so on?]

Yes, I installed it. It is clearly stated in the first post of this thread.

[ Just to give you some insights...]

After 7 years of professional experience with Cisco and Nortel equipment I do not need such insights. I need router which works as declared by manufacturer. So do your work to resolve the problem. At the same time I will do my complaint. It will be a good motivation for Linksys to be fast.