tomhuckleberry

Slow Internet Access after upgrading to Windows 7

I have a WAG354G which was running perfectly under Windows XP. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and now the internet access speed is slower than a dial up line. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the speed back up to the original speed?
dibbler

Re: Slow Internet Access after upgrading to Windows 7

I would suggest you to adjust the wireless settings on the router and check...Open the router setup page and Under the Wireless tab,Change the Wireless Channel to 11-2.462GHz...Change the SSID to unique name...Under the Advanced Wireless Settings..Change the Beacon Interval to 50,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304 Change the RTS Threshold to 2307...

Now, check..

tomhuckleberry

Hi Dibbler many thanks for coming up with an answer so quickly. Sadly I tried all the changes and the speed of 120kbps is still the same :smileysurprised:( I then tried re-booting both the PC and the gateway - still no change.
dibbler

What is the Model no of the Wireless Adapter you are using on the computer...?

Try upgrading the router's firmware and reconfigure the router from the scratch..You can download the firmware from www.linksys.com/downloads...On the linksys setup page,click on Administration tab to upgrade the firmware.

tomhuckleberry

HI Dibbler the model number is:WAG354G I have already upgraded the firmware from the Linksys website it is currently   version  1.01.11 and the changes you recommended were done after the firmware upgrade.
dibbler

Is your Windows 7 Computer is a Wired computer or a Wireless Computer? If its an Wired or Wireless computer then you can try to update the drivers for your Network adapter and then check the speed on your Computer.

If you have any other computer, then you can check if you are still facing the same problem on that computer?

tomhuckleberry

Hi Dibbler mant thanks for your help it is very much appreciated. Today I found an old laptop running XP and ran that wirelessy on the router and it worked perfectly. I then took the ethernet cable out of my dektop and plugged it into the XP machine, set up a LAN and again it ran perfectly. So I had eliminated the ISP and the router. I then plugged the ethernet cable back into my desktop and guess what!!!! It worked perfectly. I had previously taken the ethernet cable out of the router and rebooted the router and then replaced the cable but that made no difference. So why it worked OK by unplugging it from the desktop I have no idea - but it worked :smileyhappy:

Once again thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Bill

PS after 35 years in the IT industry I still find it fascinating that not everything is logical!