quickfire

Unable to forward ports on WAG120N

[ Edited ]

I have a Linksys WAG120N modem-router, with the latest 1.00.12 firmware. I have problem port forwarding. I don't have any problems surfing or downloading, but lately I've found that it's difficult logging onto my Steam client network. At first I thought it was because of the Steam servers, but yesterday I used a port checker site and it seems my Steam ports aren't open.

I went to portforward.com, followed the static IP guide, disabled the DHCP server setting in my Linksys settings, and used the following settings:

My port-forwarding settings:

I use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to check the ports, and my Steam ports are still closed ("Error: I could not see your service on port (80). Reason: Connection timed out"). The only software firewall I use is the in-built firewall in Windows 7, and I've allowed all the Steam ports and Steam.exe. I'm still not sure if the problem belongs to me or the Steam servers, but can anyone help me out on this port forwarding issue?

P/S: My uTorrent runs fine with the port it uses open. It has an 'automatic port-mapping' option.

Klatch

Re: Unable to forward ports on WAG120N

Do not disable the DHCP on the router.As you have given the static ip on the computer,use the same ip address to do port forwarding on the router.

quickfire

Hmm I'm a noob in this, but from the guide at portforward.com, it says to diable DHCP as that assigns different IP addresses each time you reboot.Is there any danger in disabling it?

Anyway, it turns out my ports are open. The problem was using the web port checkers- they only check to see if there's any traffic going through the specified port. Since none of my game were running, they reported a false 'closed port. I donwloaded a dedicated port checker from PF and they are indeed open.

Klatch

There is no harm in disabling DHCP.It just like a server,which assigning ip to the client,it does not matter whether it is router or you have assigned the ip static to the computer.

Expert
Expert

quickfire wrote:

Anyway, it turns out my ports are open. The problem was using the web port checkers- they only check to see if there's any traffic going through the specified port. Since none of my game were running, they reported a false 'closed port. I donwloaded a dedicated port checker from PF and they are indeed open.

That's not a "false closed port". The port was reported absolutely correctly as closed. You just have to know that "forwarding" does exactly what it says: it forwards. It does not open or close a port. It forwards the port to a destination IP address. The port can be closed or open on the computer to which you forward. If you don't open the port on the computer, i.e. run an application which actually uses this port and makes it open this way the port will remain closed regardless of your forwarding. Forwarding won't magically open a port. It will only forward. Nothing else.