kiwi 1

Use of Router username and password

We have purchased and setup a Cisco WAG 310 router complete with VOIP capability. Initially all went well but then I decided to change the default user name and password from admin to one I selected. I went into the administration tab, and in the appropriate boxes entered the desired names. I then clicked save settings and assumed all was fine. But later, when I went to check for access by using 192.168.1.1 I found that I was in effect locked out of the router all together. I got to the enter user name and password but found the system would not accept them. All I got was a message saying authorisation required or brower incompatibility. Finally, in desperation, I used the reset button at the rear for 30 secs and down powered the router. That got me back to the admin defaults but I lost all of the settings given to me from our ISP and so all this had to be reset.

What has occurred though now is this: To configure the phone through the router, you select voice, admin view and then provisioning which is where I enter the values supplied by the ISP. I find now that when I select voive and then admin view, it states that 'the server at 192.168.1.1 requires a user name and password' despite the reset. It also mentions the router as a WAG 310-Sipura. Entering "admin" has no effect and brings up a message of authorisation required as occurred before.

Can anyone describe to me what has occurred here and what to do to get around such problems. I am loath to have to do yet another reset as it is quite involved.

oook

Re: Use of Router username and password

I would suggest you insted of resetting the router you should upgrade/re-flash the firmware on your linksys router.

Go to website linksysbycisco.com/downloads.........insert model no of your router in search tab......select proper version of your router........download the firmware file......save that file on desktop
Firmware Upgrade/Reflash
Follow these steps to upgrade the firmware on the device : -
Open an Internet Explorer browser page on a computer hard wired to the router...
In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1...Leave the Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...
Click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' and browse the .bin firmware file and click on "Upgrade"...
Wait for few seconds until it shows that "Upgrade is successful"  After the firmware upgrade, click on "Reboot" and you will be returned back to the same page OR it will say "Page cannot be displayed".

Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...
Also make sure that your computer is set to 'Obtain IP Address Automatically' , disable any firewalls, security softwares on the computer before trying to access the setup page...