WAG120N Not Detected

The router isn't being detected by windows (XP 32bit) plz help

Also cannot communicate with router through 192.168.1.1

See link for info

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9469/routererror.jpg

"I don't want a cat, I want a penguin. . . Look in the penguin-log."
xvangstersx

Re: WAG120N Not Detected

It seems possible that if you are connected to any of the 1-4 ports of the router. If the NIC of the computer is working properly on other networking devices then the router DHCP is not working properly. You should not be getting APIPA IP address when connected to the router ports. Make sure that computer is not setup with Static Address. Check the Network Connections Windows for the XP machine and see if it indicates any errors or yellow ! when you are disconnected from the WAG120N. Other suggestions is accessing the command prompt and try to release and renew IP address. Another thing is leaving the computer connected to the Gateway and try resetting it if gateway would then be able to provide computer is IP using DHCP. Last possible suggestion is if your XP is not set with static, then try setting with with static IP address and see if you could access the gateway. ie using [192.168.1.50] [255.255.255.0] [192.168.1.1] [4.2.2.2] [4.2.2.3].
cw64

On renewing I get the following error message.

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

cw64

On manually setting the addresses you listed I can now log into the router :smileyhappy:

cw64

And this was posted using the internet connection through my router.

Is there ever going to be a problem with using manual settings?

Glad I stuck around for a bit after Linksys live help told me my router was faulty.

xvangstersx

If the XP is a home computer, and you are not going to make any changes to the Router like buying a different brand, then No. It will not cause and problems with the bandwith or your computer settings at all. Though keep in mind, it is still possible that the router could be faulty because it is not doing the DHCP which is supposed to do. One thing I would suggest you try if you have another computer desktop or notebook and connect it hardwire to a different port on the router if it would perform DHCP on that other computer. Also, I would recommend that if the router is still in Linksys warranty, see if your router could be RMA. Other than that, Static Address as I said, will not cause any problems to your computer at all.

cw64

I will be able to test the router out on a brand new rig with a fresh OS in a week or so. That should prove if it is faulty or not. iirc RMA is handled differently in the UK and all warranty returns have to go through the reseller.
cw64

No problem using router on a new PC. So it's not faulty after all?
Ricewind

So are you able to login into the router using new PC...?

If yes then,try to configure the router as per the ISP settings and check....It should work.