BigA2

WAG160N - Slow Internet Speed and Occasional Drop-Outs.

A few weeks ago my internet speed suddenly became slow. Not so slow you can’t do anything without having to wait half an hour, but significantly slower than usual, and it also has occasional drop-outs. It can’t be an issue with the computers connecting to the router, which it’s doing fine as I can access my router’s setting though the IP address, but with the router connecting to the internet.

I had no idea whether this was a problem with the router or my internet service, but I have called my ISP (Telstra) and they’ve been completely useless, and have denied all responsibility. They acknowledge that my internet’s speed was slower than it should be, but basically their solution was to just not use the wireless connection (and instead use an Ethernet cable) and turn off your firewall and anti-virus programs so the internet is faster. Ridiculous.

The strangest thing is that it just happened out of the blue, without any changes to the network. What’s the solution?

castor

Re: WAG160N - Slow Internet Speed and Occasional Drop-Outs.

Try the following steps:

1. Connect to your router's admin interface. Usually 192.168.1.1. The default username is blank,default password is "admin" (without the quotes).

2 Lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1492 or less (usually found on your router's main/ basic setup page)

3. Click on the Wireless tab and do the following changes.

For Channel Settings of 2.4 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, 11..

Then check the connectivity status..

BigA2

The MTU was already on 1492. I changed the channel width to 20MHz but the internet is still just as slow as before. :smileysad:

BigA2

I hate to double post, but I really need help here on what to do. Do I need to update the firmware? Buy a new router all together?

Expert
RobinsonX7

Hi BigA2,

Try to reset your router. --> Press and hold the red reset button for at least 30seconds.

Than, wait until the router reboots and update the F/W of Your router.

You can find the Instructions here.

Regards,

RobinsonX7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Die Such Funktion ist dein Freund.... und Google auch

Cisco Knowledge Base

Linksys Home Support

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------