Mike Sheffield

WAG160N - USERNAME AND PASSWORD

I cannot access the Username and password on my WAG160N - the ones I thought were correct do not accepted, nor are the quoted 'defaults'.

I have tried holding down 'reset' for 30 secs; I have tried powercycling the router after and during this; I have tried 'resetting' with the phone and ethernet connections unplugged. This is NOT returning the machine to the default settings - and neither is it 'wiping' the existing settings for my ISP.

The amusing thing is - it works perfectly well, but I can't alter my security settings and I can't alter other settings if I change my ISP (as I was intending to do).

Any ideas anyone?

Mike Sheffield.

thenextbutton

Re: WAG160N - USERNAME AND PASSWORD

hold down the reset button on the back and wait until the power light goes out, and then it will blank the router back to the its out of box settings.

This will wipe everything from the router and you will need to start from scratch.

have you tried putting your password in to the router with CAPS Lock on? I have come across a few people who didn't realise that they had caps on when they typed in the password.

Mike Sheffield

Yes, TNB - everyone suggests a version of this.

Except that it doesn't work.

1) - Pressing and holding down the 'reset' button causes the power light to go red, but not to go out (well, not for over 75 secs anyway!)

2) - Disconnecting everything including powering down, then re-connecting in line with the Ch3 "Installation" guide, causes my original connections to the ISP to be restored 'just as before' - NOT wiped out to be restored manually.

3) - Logging on to "192.168.1.1" does indeed bring up the request for username and password - BUT the claimed defaults (and various commentators refer to "admin-admin" or [blank]-admin" or even "linksys-admin") are still unrecognised.

So - I have a router which works very well, BUT whose settings, including security settings, I cannot change, and which I would not be able to change ISP's with.

And, BTW, I have tried every combination of possible u/name and p/word, with and without Caps, before even geting into this.

I supose it would be good business in a way if every time you wanted to change your settings you had to buy a new router  .  .  . Except that I wouldn't buy from Linksys again.

All I want is to be able to access the username and password which have been set (so must exist in a file or memory somewhere!) - or to relly, really restore the 'default' settings. Surely someone - even someone in Linksys/Cisco - must have an answer that works??

MIKE SHEFFIELD

binky

By Default the Username and the Password for WAG160N is "admin". If admin as the username and password is not working after you resetted your Router, this means your Router is not getting resetted properly. Press and hold the reset button for 60 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 60 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

Mike Sheffield

(COUGH)   -

Yes, binky, I had worked out that "If admin as the username and password is not working after you resetted your Router, this means your Router is not getting resetted properly." The trouble is, that is what is happening (or rather, not happening).

I muist be very bad at explaining things.

As my first post in this thread says I HAVE (amongst other variations) tried this:

"Pressing and holding the reset button for 60 seconds...Releasing the reset button...Unplugging the power cable from the router, waiting for 60 seconds and re-connecting the power cable..."

For good measure I did it (yet) again immediately before writing this post. The result?  -  I am back logged in to, and connected to, my ISP (with no input of details from myself), and (surprise surprise) the screen 192.168.1.1 STILL refuses the "admin-admin" u/name and password, plus any of the other variants suggested.

This is the whole purpose of writing this thread  -  I HAVE done what the pundits say will correct the problem, but nothying happens. I want to know (ideally) how I access the actual username/password combination which the router, my PC system, or Linksys online MUST have stored in a memory somewhere; or (failing that) a backdoor "when all else fails" route to restore the "admin-admin" combination when the hard reset does not work.

Thanks for your efforts, binky, but perhaps you are beginning to see how frustrated I am becoming. :smileymad:

MIKE SHEFFIELD.

dasjournal

This has happened to me as well.  The reset button on my gateway does not work.  However, the reset area is actually on the edge, behind the button.  Try angling a pen with a long thin tip into the very sides of the reset button.
Mike Sheffield

DASJOURNAL -

Thanks for what may be a very helpful comment.

"On the very edge behind the button."  "Try angling  .   .   .  into the very sides of the reset button."

Above? Below? Left/ Right?

And, Linksys, -  what does this say about build quality, if the b****y button doesn't actually work???

MIKE SHEFFIELD.

dasjournal

I usually find that when pushing the pen on the reset button, the pen slips into the gap between button and its housing.  If you are holding the gateway around 45 degrees from horizontal, try pushing the pen into the top gap area - not that it should matter.

I must apologise for these instructions - they are just like rocket science, and yet for something so simple...

Mike Sheffield

OK - I tried following Dasjournal's suggestion. There is no visible 'gap' on my router - the Reset button is foursquare with the hole in the plastic casing. However with the aid of a mini-screwdriver I duly pushed the (barely visible) metal rim behind the button for 60+ secs.

Still no reset to the 'admin-admin' settings. When I re-connect and re-power the router after a 60+sec wait, my ISP connects without pause and the 192.168.1.1 screen still rejects the above 'default' passwords.

Thanks for trying though DSasjournal.

I know I am repeating myself - there MUST BE a way of accessing the actual username and password as these MUST BE stored somewhere. If not, then they couldn't be verified.

Also in my opinion there MUST BE a backdoor, technician's route to resetting the router beyond the Reset button.

Next step is to bring this to the mainstream PC magazines with their large readership I think. They might be more interested than Linksys - it would be difficult for them to be less interested  .  .  .

MIKE SHEFFIELD.

Campsieman

I know I'm a bit late to help the original poster, but I had a similar problem and sorted it so I thought others might find this useful.

I used a screwdriver to press the reset button for a minute.  It seemed to have an effect on the led's but I wasn't sure I was pressing the screwdriver directly on the button so I repeated the procedure for another minute.  This time the power LED cycled from green to red every couple of seconds while the button was pressed, which hadn't happened first time.  I don't know if you need to do it twice or if I didn't do it properly first time.  I then powered it down for a minute, as others have suggested.

Finally, I put the installation CD into the PC and repeated the setup procedure that I had gone through when I first installed it.  This allowed me to reset the admin password.  Maybe this is the important step that needs to be gone through ?

Good luck everyone

John