Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
maffknight

WAG160N WiFi dropping connections

For a few weeks now, my router has been dropping WiFi connections, seemingly at random.

When trying to watch BBC iPlayer is terrible, as it keeps dropping every 5 minutes.

Tonight my iPod Touch (iOS5) was connecting okay, while my son's iPod Touches (iOS3 and iOS4) would not.

My MacBook Pro would not connect either.

The only to get things working again, is to turn the router off for a few minutes and turn it on again.

I have router wireless settings as follows:

Network Mode: mixed

Radio Band: Wide - 40MHz channel

Wide Channel: 9

Standard Channel: 7 - 2.442GHz

SSID: Disabled

Router Firmware Version:V2.00.20

My wired connection is running well:

Speed DownSpeed Up

15734.10 Kbps ( 15.4 Mbps )
1012.05 Kbps ( 1 Mbps )

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Expert
Expert

Re: WAG160N WiFi dropping connections

If there are any other access points on the 2.4 GHz close by, do not use 40 MHz bandwidth. Use 20 MHz instead. With 40 MHz bandwidth you use about 2/3 of the total available 2.4 GHz band and you are thus very prone to interference with almost any other 2.4 GHz access point in your proximity...

In addition, do not disable the SSID broadcast. It makes it harder for the wireless device to keep a reliable connection. Disabling the SSID broadcast does not make your network any more secure.
maffknight

Thanks for the reply.

I made the changes to my router as suggested:

Network Mode: Mixed

Radio Band: Standard - 20MHz Channel

Wide Channel: 9

Standard Channel: 13 - 2.472GHz

SSID Broadcast: Enabled

All worked well for about a month, but I have noticed the iPods and my laptop losing the network a few times over the past week or so. Other devices are able to connect normally.

The only way to get the connection back on these devices is to turn the router off and back on again.

codebetweenthelines

I had a similar problem that i din't fix.

after a few months it escalated and the internet connection to the device started to get dropped. 

I guess its getting to the end of life of the device.

good luck.

http://www.codebetweenthelines.com/2012/11/linksys-wag160n-drops-connection.html

Pieter3216

I have experianced the same problem with my WAG160N. Only activated logging today. Lets see if I have the same problem.

codebetweenthelines

Good luck Pieter3216.

Tell us how it went. 

dsiozos

Hey guys... I've been having the same problem. The problem seems to be the N wireless. If you switch to G-only the problem seems to be disappear . But this is not a solution. It's good for HD streaming and you get speeds close to 2.4 MB/s. I hope cisco will try and fix this bug. I was hoping that they had, and that is why i came back here....

cheers
jaymay

Make sure that the firmware of the modem is up to date. Make sure as well that the wireless adapters of your wireless devices have the latest drivers. Once checking the firmware and the drivers are up to date, you may also reset the modem (push and hold the reset button for 30 seconds then power it off for another 30 seconds) then reconfigure the settings.