Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
VirusTech
Accepted Solution

WAG160Nv2 wireless speed is pathetic!!

So, after I had my WAG160N router since 2 years now.. I finally had a problem with it and I just tried everything and didn't solve it. So my solution is to buy another one and as I saw on the store it was the same router but version 2. So my router now (WHICH I BOUGHT TODAY) is WAG160Nv2. 

So today I set it up and everything was fine and I connected my laptop on it and I was happy that I had internet again as my old router was dead. Anyways the problem is that the wireless speed was never going more than 250kb/s. The fun part is that when I connect the ethernet cable my speed reaches 1.9mb/s. So, how pathetic this can be?

My old wag160n was working fine on wireless and wired internet (always with ethernet). So no problems at all.. but this WAG160Nv2 is completely bad. Don't know what's the problem with it but I can't believe that. It's the same router but just version 2 and this one has completely slow wireless?? Really?

So, after I spent lot of time on cisco support and home community threads I found out that many people have problem even with WAG160N model. 

I tried to changed my MTU size and my Beacon Interval, Fragmetation Threshold, RTS Threshold numbers as I read on another thread but it's still the same.

I made a new thread because I had the same router and everything was fine and this one which is version 2 if WAG160Nv2 means version 2 (v2) and my wireless is bad, really really bad.

I'm running V2.00.20 firmware and my VCI and VPI are correct. I did no changes to anything on my router I only used my ISP username and password also I changed my wireless security key.

I'm afraid if I return my router to the store and take another one it will still has the problem as people were saying they returned it and they still had the problem. So, am I really doomed???

VirusTech

Re: WAG160Nv2 wireless speed is pathetic!!

So the solution to my problem was to downgrade the firmware from 2.00.20 to 2.00.17!!!

If you have the same router with 2.00.20 you must definitely downgrade to 2.00.17!!

tam.robert@gmail.com

do you have the link to download firmware version 2.00.17 as i amunable to choose it, else can you email me at evolution2nite@yahoo.com

Valryx

I have the Cisco WAG160Nv2 with Firmware Version:V2.00.20.

Just wanted to mention since i don't have these problems, it doesn't make much sense that downgrading is the actual root of the problem.

What the actual problem was i can only guess, for all i know it could have been a QoS limit that got reset by downgrading or or for all i know maybe it was someone that was downloading heavily on your wireless while you were trying it.
Don't take these examples literally though if they are false, there are so many things that could have been the issue.

In short, i just wanted to mention for all the people with the WAG160Nv2 latest firmware; if it's working fine for you don't downgrade.

If you have the same issue as the original poster, downgrading can be a fast & easy fix, but not necessarily the root of the problem.

My situation more detailed:

My Adsl line can only reach speeds of 400 KB/s tops, recently my ISP came to install a VDSL router, my speed just got bumped to 30056 kbps (about 2.8 MB/s speeds actually downloading).

I still wanted to use my Cisco router also because the ISP router is pretty bad. So i changed Ethernet port 1 to WAN PPPoE to receive the VDSL through Ethernet from the ISP router (WAG160Nv2 doesn't have VDSL modem support) and my wireless 802.11n speed on the WAG160Nv2 reaches 2.8 MB/s download from internet even though my computer is located pretty far away from the router.

I'm pretty happy with this router actually.

mthoelen

do you have the link to download firmware version 2.00.17 as i amunable to choose it, else can you email me at marc.thoelen@uhasselt.be

Thanks,

Marc

RussRutan

I upgraded from 2.00.17 to 2.00.20 last night and today I now have the same issue.  Works as normal when connected via copper, but wireless performance is terrible.  I wish I would have read this beforehand.  Now, where to find a 2.00.17 firmware...

RussRutan

Found a link to the 2.00.17 firmware on another forum, downloaded the firmware, applied it and now all is sweet.

Found it here:

http://www.2shared.com/file/fSsGK-lP/WAG160Nv2_AnnexA_ETSI_FW_20017.html

Now it works like it did BEFORE I upgraded to 2.00.20.

Linksys / Cisco should have fixed this LONG before now.

:-/

arr_1k

I too had a problem with the wireless speed.  My computer would only connect at 56mbps but I couldn't get it to connect at 802.11n speeds.  I found a post on a forum suggesting that when you use encryption for WPA/WPA2 use AES not TKIP to connect.

I change my laptop adapter setting to connect with AES and I could then connect at various high speeds (150-270 mbps).

Before finding the post, I also tried to downgrade from :V2.00.20 to :V2.00.17 and that created more problems so I switched back to :V2.00.20.

In terms of my configuration, plain vanilla.  All my settings are default.

duanel

I can't seem to download 2.00.17 using that link provided....

Can someone up it elsewhere to access?

Thanks

earthmyrll120288

duanel wrote:

I can't seem to download 2.00.17 using that link provided....

Can someone up it elsewhere to access?

Thanks

I believe you need to download a downloader software first before you can download the file. If you click download it should ask you to install a software to download the file you want. It might be running on the background.