osa
Accepted Solution

WAG160n ADSL2+ slow WiFi download speed

Ive bought recently WAG160n and Ive watched that I have problem with slow speed of WiFi. On LAN cable its ok. Internet provider gives my up 20Mb/sec. download and up to 1Mb/ses. upload. Ive visited http://www.speedtest.net/ and watched only 2Mb/s. download. and 1Mb/s. upload.

My WiFi card in laptop is: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN, driver ver. 13.3.0.137

Ive uprated router firmware to ver. 2.00.20 and I still dont see any improvement.

I add, that my previous router: WAG200G on this same line gives me 14-16 Mb/sec. download on WiFi.

Is anyone tell my why upload speed is ok, but download not?? Please help.

Re: WAG160n ADSL2+ slow WiFi download speed

[ Edited ]

Hi I have the same problem.

My hardware: WAG160N V2 ANNEX A with 2.00.20 software

My internet connection is 6Mb/s download speed and 512kb/s upload speed.

I tested it on 3 laptops:

2 MacBooks and eee901 with Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) and Windows XP (dual boot) - all computers have N card

My WiFi is the only one  (netstumbler and "iwlist wlan0 scan" doesn't show me other wifi networks)

Every computer gives me the same results:

(Router was always next by computers)

Tested on http://speedtest.net (always the same server with almost the same latency):

1) Computer connected to ethernet port by ethernet cable

Download: almost 6Mb/s (it's OK)

Upload: almost 512kb/s (it's OK)

2) Computer connected by Wifi (135Mb/s and excellent signal strength in mixed mode or 54Mb/s and excellent signal strength in G-only mode)

Download: from 1Mb/s to 1,8 Mb/s (it's not OK)

Upload: almost 512kb/s (it's OK)

Router was tested in different ways (the results was always the same):

1) With WPA2 and TKIP/AES with Mixed mode (N and G)

2) With WPA2 and TKIP/AES with G-only

3) Without encryption with Mixed mode (N and G)

4) Without encryption with G-only

I tested different MTUs on my laptops - always the same results.

Wifi connections were stable (no lost pings) and latency was always almost the same.

Interesting thing:

I tested "internal" connection between laptop connected by Wifi (PC1) and other computer connected by ethernet cable (PC2). I downloaded big file (on PC1)  from PC2 and the download speed was no less than 4MB/s=32Mb/s so slow wifi is not problem in generally with wifi. The problem with slow wifi appears only when wifi connected laptops try download some from internet.

No other computers were connected to the router during tests. No additional software (no firewalls, antiviruses, P2P etc.) (except web browser) were running on laptops during tests.

Sorry for my bad English.

osa

Hi,

I have this same model as You. When i bought it, it has got firmware 2.00.17, but i had this same problem. As You wrote, the problem probably isn't lie on configuration. I also tested on different configuration, different environment, many hard restart... What is more, first WAG160n i returned to shop and took this same model (I thought that problem is the hardware). I tried to find any solution in web, but still without result.

You have already upgraded the firmware on the router.

After upgrading the firmware on the router, it is recommended that you should reset the router and reconfigure the router. Press and hold the reset button on the router for 30 seconds. Release the reset button and wait for 10 seconds. Power cycle the router and reconfigure the router.

Try changing some advanced wireless settings. Open the setup page of the router. Click on wireless tab and go to Advanced wireless settings sub tab. Change the Beacon Interval to 75, RTS threshold to 2307, fragmentation threshold to 2306. Save the settings.

Click on setup tab. Change the MTU size to 1365. Save the settings and power cycle the router.

See if that works.

osa

I did what You wrote and i can't see any different.  Im from Poland and my provider is neostrada.

Screens with my configuration:

http://uploading.com/files/ce783b3f/2010-11-05_132758.png/

http://uploading.com/files/2e4d698m/2010-11-05_132837.png/

If you connect the computer with the Ethernet cable, the download speed is good. That means the wired connection is working fine. 

The download speed is good with another WAG200 that means the wireless on the computer is also working fine.

I think the wireless part on your router is not working properly.

osa

I know that, but still I dont know why?? My first Wag160n had exactly this same problem Smiley Sad Studnia had this same problem, that might means that problem is a firmware.

osa

Problem solved. I returned router to shop.

Thanks for trying to help my with it.

Just thought I'd let you know I had exactly the same issue with the WAG160Nv2, firmware version 2.00.20, and after spending an hour and a half on the phone to Linksys support (inluding an hour with a Supportrix technician), the problem was not resolved. I'm sending mine back tomorrow for replacement.

Today shop gives me new WAG160N V2 (they replaced old WAG160N with new one). This didn't solve the problem.

I tried settings from quack. It didn't help. 

On WAG120N everything works fine (6Mb/s on WiFi and Ethernet). I think that this is firmware problem (or whole portion (many devices) have hardware problem)

I can't find unofficial firmware for WAG160N (like tomato, dd-wrt, hyberwrt, openwrt etc.) because this unofficial soft is for router only and doesn't support modems...

I have no ideas;/

The only thing I can is replacing WAG160N to new one and repeat this step...