thedge

WAG320N (ADSL modem/router) on BT Infinity fibre service (with a VDSL modem)

I thought I'd put together some information on using a WAG320N on the new BT Infinity fibre service - I didn't find much information about this on t'interweb when I tried to set it up myself.

This information is probably only relevant to UK users.

Background

BT have released an upgraded fibre based service called BT Infinity. This fibre based service is based on VDSL, not ADSL (or ADSL2 or ADSL2+). When you take this service BT supply two pieces of kit: A VDSL modem and a (hurredly) adapted homehub (similar to the BT homehub 2 that's been out for a while). The main difference in the homehub is that the 4th ethernet port is now a WAN port to connect to the VDSL modem. The homehub had 100 meg lan and 150 meg wireless.

As I've been on BT for a while and had the original rubbish Mk1 BT homehub (just wireless G etc), I upgraded to a WAG320N for the improved range and speed of wireless, and the Gigabyte ethernet. As this unit it an ASDL modem you can't just plug it straight into the wal socket and bypass all the BT kit - it isn't compatible with the VDSL based service.

I've just (this morning) upgraded to this infinity service and was anxious not to have to go out and my a new router, and wanted to continue with the specs and performance offered by the WAG320N.

When you discuss this with BT, either on the sales line or the engineer that does the fitting, they will claim that some sort of magic has been done such that only the homehub will work with the VDSL modem. One quote was that they are "designed to work together".

Happily this is rubbish and it should be possible to use a variety of routers with the modem.

The Kit

I'm assuming that the VDSL modem supplied by BT is reasonably standard. My model has 2 lan sockets, with tape over the second.

The WAG320N is firmware V1.00.12 (I would upgrade but I've had firmware problems after upgrades in the past).

What to do

The aim is to use the WAG320N as a router without using the modem part of the kit. The WAG320N has an option to do this by switching the first ethernet port to a WAN port.

1: Keep your router configured with the settings you used prior to getting upgraded to infinity - I found no need to reset to factory defaults (althought this may be an option if you have problems)

2: Connect your WAG320N's first ethernet port to the (first) LAN socket on the VDSL modem using a normal network patch cable. I found that you don't have to use the supplied from BT if it turns out to be too short etc.

3: In your WAG320N configuration click on the Setup>>Ethernet menu tab.

4: Change the option "1st Ethernet connection" to "Use as WAN port". Changing this switches off the ADSL modem part of the hardware. A lot of the options on the setup>>basic setup tab will be disabled now. However it would be a good idea to backup your router config just in case.

5: Enter the following settings in the options that appear for "Ethernet WAN setup"

Connection dropdown: PPPoE
    User Name: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
    Password: Either leave this blank or enter "BT" if you are forced to by the validation
    I've left the other options as they are defaulted.

6: Save the configuration

7: Backup your router's config.

8: Off you go. You should see the following things on your WAG320N's LEDs (you may need to turn the modem and the router off and on to get things to pick up).

The LED for the first Ethernet port is now red (it was green before if it was in use)
    The LED for DSL is now dark - showing that the modem in the WAG320N is disabled
    The LED for internet should be green, that shows that connection is successful. (mine shows red for a few seconds when I turn the WAG320N before it goes green)

Conclusion

It may be possible to do this on other ADSL modem routers, the key thing is that there is the option to use a LAN port as a WAN uplink.

I also tried a (very) old US Robotics router, just to see how reusable this sort of setup might be. Once configured in a similar manner as above, it worked fine.

As a disclaimer, I'm nothing to do with BT or Cisco and anything you do or brake is your problem. If your not confident making changes to router settings then don't.

Hope this helps

Kash130

Re: WAG320N (ADSL modem/router) on BT Infinity fibre service (with a VDSL modem)

Hi there. Thanks for this. Brilliant and just what i was looking for. One question is this... Did you find that once you connected the WAG320N to the infinity modem that the broadband speed was slower? I was getting 37mbs with the rubbish home hub 3 but only about 24mbs with the excellent WAG320N. Just wondered if you had the same problem as obviously i cant talk to BT about this as they wont help me now, lol.

JaSonic

Re: WAG320N (ADSL modem/router) on BT Infinity fibre service (with a VDSL modem)

I too today have just had BT Infinity 2 installed and this guide was absolutely perfect in setting up my WAG320N to the VDSL router, but have found the same as Kash130.

My broadband via the homehub3 is giving me about 54Mbps but thru the Wag320N I only get just short of 25.

Is the WAG320N not up to the job or is there something else that needs to be configured to get full potential?

Cheers guys

Expert
Expert

The WAG is designed for ADSL2+ speed. It can route approx. 25 Mbit/s but not faster. It's just not fast enough for higher speeds. If you want higher speeds you have to get an ethernet router.
JaSonic

Ok cheers for your reply, appreciated.

Looking at the Cisco E3000 to replace my wag with, would you say this is worth getting ?

Cheers

Expert
Expert

The routing performance of the E3000 is more than 200 Mbit/s:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31134-cisco-linksys-e3000-high-performance-...

Speed is no problem. However, the E3000 is rather old. It basically end-of-life already. Life cycles for consumer routers are usually about 1.5-2 years. Since the E3000 there has been the E3200 and now the EA3500.

The E3000 won't support IPv6. At least nothing has been indicated. That's probably no problem at this time but shows that development has stopped: http://home.cisco.com/en-us/ipv6

The E3000 also is waiting for the WPS patch: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&articleid=25154
opheliaimmortal23

JaSonic wrote:

Ok cheers for your reply, appreciated.

Looking at the Cisco E3000 to replace my wag with, would you say this is worth getting ?

Cheers

You can check this one:  http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=7f3d861e3574460fbfacb3b2b0b46104_21476.xml&pid=80&...

JaSonic

Having listened to advise given here, am now looking at the EA4500 :smileyhappy: